When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Indian

-
This is the best thread EVER! Fordsnake, your knowledge of these leaves me speechless! Thanks so mush for the info. Sooner or later i'll own an Indian. Wish i had the dough at the time to buy yours. Now, time to print all of this.

Long ago I had sen

I believe american bicyclist introducing the 1915 fully equipped- had cut out badge and 2 piece crank...
Some of the rears on the flaired fender model are cut to clear chain stays and some are formed- early late ? or just used what they had- I had an ad showing those for sale in a trade publication made by Excelsior- which Excesior I do not know but i have bought other bikes to get the fenders..

I believe american bicyclist introducing the 1915 fully equipped- had cut out badge and 2 piece crank...
Some of the rears on the flaired fender model are cut to clear chain stays and some are formed- early late ? or just used what they had- I had an ad showing those for sale in a trade publication made by Excelsior- which Excesior I do not know but i have bought other bikes to get the fenders..

Those were the early equipped models and I believe they were actually manufactured by Hendee. Here is an example, 1916 Indian bicycle, owned by CABE member eazywind.

inafter1_zps9f3d5fb8-1.jpg

inafter11_zps6b77da93-1.jpg

jindian5_zps739d298b-1.jpg

Some Hendee Mfg.Co. Indians (1901-1925) featured a cutout rear fender (no evidence of this option on the Indian Motocycle).

file191-1.jpg

Not to be a pita

............... Here is an example, 1916 Indian bicycle, owned by CABE member eazywind.

..........QUOTE]

well maybe- but how do we know 16? this is what I am getting at- nailing down the years. I am trying to get copies of all catalogs and then start to resarch trade pulbications- chitown seems to be very adept at this and maybe will give me some pointers- Thanks!

Last edited:
Another feature of those fenders is that the edge is rolled out, rather than folded and pressed inside like most rain gutter fenders.

Copy of 1916 catalog

Nothing is definative, but the copy of the 1916 catalog has the cutout badge as a part of the catalog and the copy's of 1917 and 1918 lit i have, have pics/illustrations of solid badges with the indian head. Scroll down to the last 3 pics for some of the 1916 catalog copy. Marc

http://www.easywind2.com/indianafter.html

............... Here is an example, 1916 Indian bicycle, owned by CABE member eazywind.

..........QUOTE]

well maybe- but how do we know 16? this is what I am getting at- nailing down the years. I am trying to get copies of all catalogs and then start to resarch trade pulbications- chitown seems to be very adept at this and maybe will give me some pointers- Thanks!

- but how do we know 16? this is what I am getting at - nailing down the years.

Instead of challenging the validly of model years and the Westfield/Indian connection…perhaps you can share why you believe Davis built Indians? It’s hard to imagine a pragmatist like you would be blind to accept this Davis hypothesis based on hearsay? The impetus for this conjecture has to be predicated on some discovered observation or documented evidence?

Back