When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old paint/chrome repair

-
You could custom fabricate a tank from some lumber to fit your frames and line it with visqueen or something suitable.

Ok so I went out to buy some of this Orlic acid and I cant find at the Lowes or Home Depot.
HDepot has a product called Metal Rescue. But it is premixed and water based.
At $25 per gallon, I expected to more for the buck.
Where do you find this orlic stuff and what can I expect to pay?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Oxalic Acid is the product (they may not know if you ask for "orlic") and it usually comes in the form of "Deck Bleach" crystals. I cannot find them at the big box hardware, but rather get mine at a mom and pop type place locally. I get the Savogran brand Oxalic Acid in the 12 oz can. It usually costs like $7 here for 12 oz of crystals. That makes a lot of mixture once you dilute to the sort of strength we're talking for rust.

Every Sherwin Williams I've ever been in carries the stuff. Ask for wood bleach. It comes in a plastic yogurt-like container and is a powder.

A word of caution guys. Even at the low strength we use the stuff, please take precautions. Google it and look for health related cautions. It can be absorbed through the skin and may actually build up in your system causing nervous system issues. Like most chemicals and paints and such...just be careful.

Oxalic Acid...got it now, guess it pays to comprehend what one writes.
Wood Bleach...interesting.

Finally got the stuff. Now to find a large enough pan to do the soaking of the frame.
vamaqu4y-1.jpg

I like

FLITZ paste (non abrasive) good for metal and paint- not very agressive- start easy and get rougher as neccessary.

Also brass wool is much better than steel wool that leaves fibers and rusts- being softer than chrome it will not leave marks.

Some people also use crumpled aluminum foil + pblaster or your favorite de rust chemical with good results, evidently the pocks pick up some of the aluminum, making your chrome look better... at least for a while

for paint AVOID rubbing compound- it is made to cut- very abrasive- if you must use compound use POLISHING compound- this has abrasive

BE CAREFUL around pintsripes and darts- they can come off in one swipe...

Anybody try dipping the frame in a plastic kiddie pool from Wal-Mart?
I'm not sure how many gallons it is, though, to figure out the water/oxalic acid ratio.

[Not sure what I did wrong or right but, I used the 2.5 to 1 ratio and soaked the forks on a purple ladies Strato Flite and it turned the paint a real dull almost milky faded color purple. Also soaked just the headtube and where tge tank was mounted it was pitted pretty bad. The good paint stayed bright and vibrant. Again Im not sure why the difference in the fading and dulling.
Not the result I was hoping for.
However the results on the normally thrown away rusted pitted fenders was amazing.
But Im afraid to do the frame if its going to fade the paint.
upyvy4um-1.jpg

y7y7asyq-1.jpg

ymyvenyq-1.jpg

3ebehyry-1.jpg

sepa3any-1.jpg

Last edited:
2.5 parts water to 1 part oxalic crystal? That's a pretty strong mixture. Did you put the fork in first or last?

Back