When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old school decal hack

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

lgrinnings

I live for the CABE
Howdy CABE folks! The following is a process my dad taught me as a kid by which you can make decals from printed paper including laser prints, inkjet prints, photocopies, magazine pages, etc. I haven't had any cause to try it until recently and I was delightfully surprised with the results. I would imagine that many of you know this trick, but I thought I'd share just in case. The results aren't as good as traditionally produced silkscreen waterslide decals, but good enough in a pinch. Patience is required as this is by no means the fastest way to make decals, but anyone can do it without fancy printers or decal papers.

Step 1) Get your artwork ready. In my case, I want to make a Delta triangle decal for a recently restored Delta prewar headlight. I've recreated the decal artwork using Adobe Illustrator on my Mac, but you don't need to be a designer to use a printout of a photo you've taken or found online. The trick is ensuring that it gets printed out at the correct size. I've got multiple on one page in case I screw up.

IMG_4682.JPG

Step 2) Once you've printed out your artwork or you have your magazine page, apply roughly five coats of clear lacquer, giving ample time (30 min.) between coats to dry.

fullsizeoutput_c9c.jpeg

Step 3) Once your sheet is completely dry, cut out the area you plan to use, making sure to leave plenty of material around what will ultimately be your decal.

fullsizeoutput_c9d.jpeg

Step 4) Soak the cutout portion in warm water for about 1 minute.

IMG_4688.JPG

Step 5) Remove the cutout from the water and place it face down on a clean hard surface like a table, counter, etc.

IMG_4690.JPG

Step 6) Here's where the patience comes in. With your finger or using a pencil eraser, begin to lightly rub the paper behind the decal image so that the wet paper rolls up and can be brushed away. You may want to add a drip or two of water to to speed the process, but be careful to not tear the decal. Continue until no paper remains and you can see the artwork that is now fused to the backside of the clear lacquer.

fullsizeoutput_ca0.jpeg

Step 7) Once the paper backing has been removed use an Xacto or hobby knife to carefully cut the decal image from the larger cutout piece.

fullsizeoutput_ca1.jpeg

Step 8) To apply the decal, simply use a clear coat of lacquer where you intend to stick the decal, apply the decal, let dry and clear over it once more.

fullsizeoutput_ca4.jpeg

IMG_4704.JPG

Again, this isn't the optimal means of creating decals, but it does work and can be a cost effective means of creating custom decals if you don't mind putting in the time. You can also experiment with ways to age your decal by staining it with a yellow/brown solution of water and food coloring (I'm going to give the staining a try and I'll let you know how it comes out). Anyhow, I thought I'd share. Be sure to let me know if you give this a try and what your results look like. Good luck and enjoy!

-Lester

Hey this a cool way to do it. Nowadays you can buy white or clear backed decal paper which probably is a version of what you have here. Note that you are removing the "white" background of the art. so if you are placing these home made decal on a colored background you need to paint in the shape.

Have you tried this but laying clear before printing? Maybe use matte finish so that the ink sticks, then clear when done.

Have you tried this but laying clear before printing? Maybe use matte finish so that the ink sticks, then clear when done.

Or better yet, try pre-coating the paper with matte white, maybe?. This experiment worked well here because the final surface was white. Try this type of applique over any other color and the results will be...um...less than you hoped for.

In my opinion, the best outcome is achieved when one uses white decal sheets, and prints their desired logo over an image background color that matches the bike as closely as possible. This technique permits even fancy white lettering to be applied to any color with good results--you just need to make sure your artwork is good, clear, and properly sized. The end product can blend into the original paint like magic.

Back