When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold 1938 Schwinn Superior

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Thads Skunk Works

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I don't know much about this. I was told it is a 1934 but read that they didn't produce them until 1938 ? Also told that the Superior is like the Paramount except it doesn't have the lug frame. This one looks like it is all original except the rear rim is a Dunlop & the front rim is a single knurl probably Schwinn. Both are laced on Schwinn Script drum brakes. There is Schwinn script on both crank arms & the 2 piece stem as well. I assume the rat trap pedals are original. All paint is original. Frame is Chrome Moly steel. Priced at 1700.00 + shipping from 67204.

CIMG7645.JPG

CIMG7646.JPG

CIMG7647.JPG

CIMG7648.JPG

CIMG7653.JPG

CIMG7654.JPG

CIMG7657.JPG

CIMG7658.JPG

CIMG7659.JPG

CIMG7649.JPG

CIMG7650.JPG

CIMG7652.JPG

CIMG7660.JPG

Last edited:
Correct about what you read - 1934 would be too early. Also correct about the rims probably replacements. I'd lean toward that being a slightly later saddle from the 1950s. Most of the bikes came with the horsehair and fabrikoid tourist saddles, but an English leather saddle could be bought at the time if you really wanted one. I think that saddle looks more 1950s to me.

The Dural parts were all upgrades you could get - at extra cost, of course. You see some of these bikes with razorback steel stems, you see some with "7" or "L" shaped stems, and you see some with flip-flop aluminum. The racers also sometimes had the Major Taylor type racing stem.

In the early days, Schwinn advertised the pair of drum hubs with a rear single freewheel with drum and a front drum. This was a particular configuration you could specify if you wanted drums instead of calipers on the Superior. It seems odd today to invest in dural parts, cro-mo frame, and then throw two big drum brakes on it, but Schwinn wanted people to have every option. The book is that Schwinn wanted to expand the U.S. cycling market to include more adults in the 1940s, but that it never really panned out. In those days, ballooners were largely regarded as toys or paper route machines for kids and teens. The New World, Superior, and Paramount were adult level sporting and touring bikes.

The all white is an uncommon color. The 22-ish inch frame size is the most common frame size. As you note, the Cro-Mo frame is fillet brazed. Cool find.

I don't know much about this. I was told it is a 1934 but read that they didn't produce them until 1938 ? Also told that the Superior is like the Paramount except it doesn't have the lug frame. This one looks like it is all original except the rear rim is a Dunlop & the front rim is a single knurl probably Schwinn. Both are laced on Schwinn Script drum brakes. There is Schwinn script on both crank arms & the 2 piece stem as well. I assume the rat trap pedals are original. All paint is original. Frame is Chrome Moly steel. Priced at 2400.00 + shipping from 67204.

View attachment 671800

View attachment 671801

View attachment 671802

View attachment 671803

View attachment 671804

View attachment 671805

View attachment 671806

View attachment 671807

View attachment 671808

View attachment 671809

View attachment 671810

View attachment 671811

View attachment 671812

Correct about what you read - 1934 would be too early. Also correct about the rims probably replacements. I'd lean toward that being a slightly later saddle from the 1950s. Most of the bikes came with the horsehair and fabrikoid tourist saddles, but an English leather saddle could be bought at the time if you really wanted one. I think that saddle looks more 1950s to me.

The Dural parts were all upgrades you could get - at extra cost, of course. You see some of these bikes with razorback steel stems, you see some with "7" or "L" shaped stems, and you see some with flip-flop aluminum. The racers also sometimes had the Major Taylor type racing stem.

In the early days, Schwinn advertised the pair of drum hubs with a rear single freewheel with drum and a front drum. This was a particular configuration you could specify if you wanted drums instead of calipers on the Superior. It seems odd today to invest in dural parts, cro-mo frame, and then throw two big drum brakes on it, but Schwinn wanted people to have every option. The book is that Schwinn wanted to expand the U.S. cycling market to include more adults in the 1940s, but that it never really panned out. In those days, ballooners were largely regarded as toys or paper route machines for kids and teens. The New World, Superior, and Paramount were adult level sporting and touring bikes.

The all white is an uncommon color. The 22-ish inch frame size is the most common frame size. As you note, the Cro-Mo frame is fillet brazed. Cool find.
Thanks for the info, I'm trying to find out more about this bike. Thad

Yes, this bike looks pre-war to me too. The catalogs say 1938 was the first year for production, but most pre-war lightweight Schwinn bikes that turn up are 1939-41 era. Nice and relatively complete pre-war lightweight Schwinns have become increasingly uncommon. Bikes like this have high odds of being parted out because the parts have such high cachet among balloon tire bike collectors. Those brake levers, hubs, cables/housings, and stem are prime targets for a ballooner collector. You often see bike cores, or heavily parted bike projects turn up after being stripped for ballooner parts and lightweight remnants sold off to recoup costs.

Back