When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Sears 10 speed Free Spirit.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
D

doubleduty

I recently purchased a vintage Sears and Roebucks ladies Free Spirit 10 speed. The antique shop where I bought it thought that it was from 1958. I asked them what they based this on and they could not tell me. To get them to come down on the price I convinced them that Sears did not have 10 speed bikes until the late 60's or early 70's. I do not know if I am correct about this. This bike is green it has 26" rims. It has fenders and a rear luggage rack. The original head badge is still on it and in good shape. It reads Sears and Roebucks. The Free Spirit decals are all in fair shape. I cannot find any markings stamped onto the bike frame anywhere. So does anyone know when these bikes were first offered by Sears? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I'm no expert, but...

Free Spirit bikes were a 70's thing. Spaceliners were mid 60's, Spyders (Sears version of a Stingray) was late 60's, early 70's; if I recall my Sears Catalog reading from back in the day, the Free Spirits came out around 1971. Green and gold were popular colors.

What fun

I once entered a bicycle demolition derby. My entree was a white Huffy Free Spirit. That bike got me a championship. I'm sure it was a 1975.:rolleyes:

I once entered a bicycle demolition derby. My entree was a white Huffy Free Spirit. That bike got me a championship. I'm sure it was a 1975.:rolleyes:

Yah - the later Free Spirits were red, white and blue - the 74 - 76's

Air Brakes!!!

I had a Free Spirit I got for free it had these strange air bellows type brakes with air lines!!!:eek:

You would squeeze the plastic brake lever and it pressed a air acordion shaped bag the center pull brake had a bag that would expand in the middle kinda cool but fugly!!! 1976 bicentenial model for sure!!!

I would not ride this bike they are kind of unsafe!!!:eek:

I have worked on bike for years....Not worth the PAIN!!!:(

J...

Air brakes

I have one of those I think Hydraulic was on downtube or seatpost. Had brake fluid in it and brakes were great. Hard to work on had to have special lines.

Some of the 'higher end' Free Spirits were made in Germany and are actually decent bikes.

Patriotic Free Spirit bike

I am a Schwinn Varsity collector but recently went to an estate sale and Came across a Sears Free Spirit 10 speed. It is in super nice shape barely used, 24" wheels, and Red , White, & Blue. I think it is a 73 or 74 Ted Williams version. Has a Double top bar, spring seat, and center pull brakes. It was stored in a warehouse and had about 35 years of dirt on it. All it needed was a good cleaning,new brake pads, new tires and a wax polish job. Paid 20.00 for it. I know they aren't worth much but it is a cool 70s bike. Can't wait till the weather gets nice to take it out for a ride or a 4th of July ride around town. Check pics

Attachments

• My FS side.jpg
    My FS side.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 5,264
  • my FS back.jpg
    my FS back.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 3,685
  • my FS front.jpg
    my FS front.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 4,227
Free Spirits from the 70's were made by a variety of companies. In 1979-1980 when I worked for Columbia we would make from 1500 to 3000 free spirits a day while the contract lasted. Then we would lose the next contract to Murry or some other company by $1 a bike and they would make them. I remember going into the local Sears and three identical model Free Spirits in a row were all made by 3 different manufacturers. Same paint jobs, decals, and accessories but you could tell who made them by the frame and fork.

Back