When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old tandems.

-

Bikebones

Finally riding a big boys bike
I like the old rear steer tandems, know they were built in late 1800,s, but does anyone know how many years they were produced.... ??? Really appreciate any help here. Kb.

I have this Colson.It is 1939 I think
COLSON TANDEM 1939-2.jpg

Here is a crusty old Colson for sale local to me, seller claims it to be 1934 model. I was mildly interested, but believed the correct seats and fenders would be difficult to find and very expensive.

Seats are obviously incorrect and so are the hand grips but the fenders are correct and original to that Colson Tandem. If that was anywhere near me I'd jump at the chance to purchase it. I have one exactly like it already but not in original paint like that one. That is a really great find!

Sorry, I had a brain fart and said fenders when I meant to say it was missing chain guards. Shortly after I posted it another Caber messaged me and I sent him the contact information. Hopefully he will be successful and will post that he got it!

Sorry, I had a brain fart and said fenders when I meant to say it was missing chain guards. Shortly after I posted it another Caber messaged me and I sent him the contact information. Hopefully he will be successful and will post that he got it!

It's not missing the chain guards either, the 1934 model never had any. Only thing it's missing is the original rear stand, seats, and hand grips. Otherwise it's near perfect just the way it is. I sure wish it were anywhere near me because I would have gladly purchased it.
Colson tandem.JPG

When I spoke to him he said he was told that this tandem did not come with chain guards. The latest development is that the Caber who got the contact info has made a deal with him for a sale. Sorry it wasn't closer to you, shipping something like an old tandem has got to be a nightmare!

I like the old rear steer tandems, know they were built in late 1800,s, but does anyone know how many years they were produced.... ??? Really appreciate any help here. Kb.

To answer your question, you are correct that 1890's through 1900's were the heyday of the rear steer tandem. At least Colson and possibly others continued to produced rear steer models at least up to pre-WWII. Post war the rear steer tandem concept was pretty much abandoned but not entirely forgotten for example: https://browncycles.com/bc/kidz-tandem/

Back