When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Old Towne Orange" monthly Ride, Mar.12th, 2023 OC CA

-
Of course being able to take our vintage bikes for a ride is why we gather. As was the Foothill Flyer’s ride in Monrovia and Duarte, we enjoyed riding through the old neighborhoods; we live in one ourselves.

One of the many highlights of the day was during the ride. While riding alongside Todd @srfndoc, Todd and I switched bikes. I knew about his bike; Todd shared pics of his Motorbike with me in the past few months. What a joy to ride Todd’s Colson and a motorbike tall frame LWB version at that, too. Very nice rider. Thanks Todd for letting me ride your Colson bike.

Back in September last year during the COBOA ride in Folsom, we saw The Colson, Tony’s original Commander. I was riding along side, and even then, Tony @hat said, “You’re welcome to ride her.” Unfortunately, I didn’t get the chance that day. While we stopped at the park looking over his Commander, I cautiously asked Tony, but this time just around the park while we wait. But then we were getting ready to leave. “Next time.” I thought. Quinn @Fonseca927 was going to ride the Commander, but Tony said to Quinn, that Eddie wanted to ride the Colson. Quinn took my Schwinn DcBR and I got on “The” Colson. What an absolute treat for me riding the bike all the way back. Thank you Tony. That was definitely a highlight for me.

Had lunch at the Pizza Press with the rest of the gang, eating with Mark and his sweetie. It was good to see the two after Mark had surgery just 4 days before. Good to see Mark on his feet. After leaving lunch, some of us went to check out a couple of Mark’s @mrg antique booth down the street, because we love old stuff. Mark walked us back to our SUW and hung out while I was breaking down and getting the bikes ready for our trip back home.

Overall, my wife and I had an incredibly fun day. The SoCal hospitality is awesome, like Mike, Tony, Mark, and Todd, offering to host my wife and me when we are in their area. Marty @cycling day, Tony, & Kevin, thanks for hosting the Old town Orange ride; we will definitely be back and this time spend more than just one day. What an awesome weekend of vintage bike fun.

17 during the ride.jpg

18 Todd on a DcBR.jpg

What...is that Todd with a big smile riding a Schwinn bike?

19 Todd on a DcBR.jpg

Todd still riding our '36 Schwinn DcBR

20 @ the park.jpg

21 @ the park.jpg

22 @ the park.jpg

24 ride back.jpg

25 ride back.jpg

That's Quinn now riding our '36 Schwinn

26 ride back.jpg

27 lunch @ Pizza Press.jpg

28 lunch @ Pizza Press.jpg

Good to see Mark up and around

29 lunch @ Pizza Press.jpg

30 lunch @ Pizza Press.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @Eddie_Boy for the Schwinn ride as well. It was good to see new faces on the monthly ride like @Fonseca927 and his lady and spend some time enjoying these bikes like they were meant to be.

I tried to nominate @cyclingday to be the one in charge of the ride but he punted. Hopefully @tripple3 will be riding again soon so he can crack the whip and get us riding on time again. 🙃

Of course being able to take our vintage bikes for a ride is why we gather. As was the Foothill Flyer’s ride in Monrovia and Duarte, we enjoyed riding through the old neighborhoods; we live in one ourselves.

One of the many highlights of the day was during the ride. While riding alongside Todd @srfndoc, Todd and I switched bikes. I knew about his bike; Todd shared pics of his Motorbike with me in the past few months. What a joy to ride Todd’s Colson and a motorbike tall frame LWB version at that, too. Very nice rider. Thanks Todd for letting me ride your Colson bike.

Back in September last year during the COBOA ride in Folsom, we saw The Colson, Tony’s original Commander. I was riding along side, and even then, Tony @hat said, “You’re welcome to ride her.” Unfortunately, I didn’t get the chance that day. While we stopped at the park looking over his Commander, I cautiously asked Tony, but this time just around the park while we wait. But then we were getting ready to leave. “Next time.” I thought. Quinn @Fonseca927 was going to ride the Commander, but Tony said to Quinn, that Eddie wanted to ride the Colson. Quinn took my Schwinn DcBR and I got on “The” Colson. What an absolute treat for me riding the bike all the way back. Thank you Tony. That was definitely a highlight for me.

Had lunch at the Pizza Press with the rest of the gang, eating with Mark and his sweetie. It was good to see the two after Mark had surgery just 4 days before. Good to see Mark on his feet. After leaving lunch, some of us went to check out a couple of Mark’s @mrg antique booth down the street, because we love old stuff. Mark walked us back to our SUW and hung out while I was breaking down and getting the bikes ready for our trip back home.

Overall, my wife and I had an incredibly fun day. The SoCal hospitality is awesome, like Mike, Tony, Mark, and Todd, offering to host my wife and me when we are in their area. Marty @cycling day, Tony, & Kevin, thanks for hosting the Old town Orange ride; we will definitely be back and this time spend more than just one day. What an awesome weekend of vintage bike fun.

View attachment 1804204

View attachment 1804205
What...is that Todd with a big smile riding a Schwinn bike?

View attachment 1804206
Todd still riding our '36 Schwinn DcBR

View attachment 1804207

View attachment 1804208

View attachment 1804209

View attachment 1804210

View attachment 1804211
That's Quinn now riding our '36 Schwinn

View attachment 1804212

View attachment 1804213

View attachment 1804214
Good to see Mark up and around

View attachment 1804215

View attachment 1804216
Great pics!

After the November 2022 Cyclone coaster swap and ride, we knew we would be back for another SoCal ride. I always thought that we needed to do another SoCal ride but this time in Orange. It was Mark “Sparky” @tripple3 that reminded me of the Orange ride the same weekend as Mike’s @fordmike65 Foothill Flyers swap/show/ride. Perfect, we’re there, our first Old Town Orange ride. I’ve seen the monthly pictures shared here especially the gathering at the plaza. When my wife and I arrived early, we knew this was going to be a great day. We have never been to Orange before, and when we drove up to the plaza, we thought this place is awesome. We couldn’t wait to see more of the area.

The time at the plaza before the ride is always fun for me, the social aspect when you meet, seeing friends again from our last SoCal ride back in November, meeting more new folks from SoCal, and talking bikes.

View attachment 1804189
Our friend Armando and Connie

View attachment 1804190

View attachment 1804191

View attachment 1804192

View attachment 1804193
Marty's @cyclingday 1940 Huffman built Dayton Mainliner

View attachment 1804194

View attachment 1804195

View attachment 1804196

View attachment 1804197
1936 Schwinn Motorbike

View attachment 1804198

View attachment 1804199

View attachment 1804200
Our '36 Schwinn bikes

View attachment 1804201

View attachment 1804202
Todd's @srfndoc '36 Colson Motorbike standard LWB tall frame

View attachment 1804203
Thanks Frank @cyclonecoaster.com for the plates, brackets, and patch
Nice meeting you. See ya next time.

Had lunch at the Pizza Press with the rest of the gang, eating with Mark and his sweetie. It was good to see the two after Mark had surgery just 4 days before. Good to see Mark on his feet.
Twas wonderful to spend time with You @Eddie_Boy & Mercedes
with food, other bike-folk friends, and Amazing Classic and Antique Bicycles!
Also to promote amazing stories of your family gifts of 35 years married, 11/2022
More adulations of Congratulations!!!
Look forward to seeing you & your bikes too, again soon.
orange-circle-ride-031223-033-large-jpg.jpg

Marty @cyclingday & Frank @cyclonecoaster.com Coolest Kids... with Cliff @oddball it's off the "Richter Scale"!!!

Thanks @Eddie_Boy for the Schwinn ride as well.
Anytime time Todd @srfndoc
Great pics!
Thanks @ian
Nice meeting you. See ya next time.
Same here @Misterotis. Hopefully another SoCal gathering for us sooner than later.
Also to promote amazing stories of your family gifts of 35 years married, 11/2022
More adulations of Congratulations!!!
Look forward to seeing you & your bikes too, again soon.
Mark @tripple3, wife and I appreciate. Thank you friend.

Back