When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old typhoon

-
I just picked up an EE stamped frame. Looked on the pinned serial number thread in the Schwinn forum and found that EE was a 1969 stamping. 1969 was the first year for the mag wheel chain ring. Mine came w/o a chainring so I used an older clover one. That’s the only giveaway on my bike. I can’t see your chainring so ………?

The 20" Schwinns still used the lucky 7 chain ring during the mag era.

For the TWO LETTERS serial number as seen beginning in the mid sixties:
* First Letter Tells the MONTH
** Second Letter Tells the YEAR

Second Letter being E = 1969
First Letter being E = MAY because A=Jan, B=Feb, C=March, D=April, E=May, F=June, G=July, H=August,
(THE LETTERS 'eye' AND 'oh' ARE NEVER USED AS THEY LOOK TOO MUCH LIKE one AND zero)
J=September, K=October, L= November, M=December

First Letter= MONTH & SECOND LETTER = YEAR

Second Letter:
B = 1966
C = 1967
D = 1968
E = 1969
----During the 1970 Model Year, the Serial Number moved to below the SCHWINN badge on the headtube.-----------
F = 1970
G = 1971
H = 1972
J = 1973
K = 1974
L = 1975
M = 1976
N = 1977
P = 1978
Q = 1979
R = 1980
AS YOU CAN SEE, Schwinn skipped 'EYE' & 'OH' because it looks too much like ONE & ZERO********

Also, I believe that sometime during 1976, Schwinn also began stamping a very tiny production date code into the oval SCHWINN Headbadge. I have a Sept '76 Collegiate with the code. It may have started in '75 but I seem to remember it beginning in 1976, but I'm often wrong, so I'm not 100% certain.

I just picked up an EE stamped frame. Looked on the pinned serial number thread in the Schwinn forum and found that EE was a 1969 stamping. 1969 was the first year for the mag wheel chain ring. Mine came w/o a chainring so I used an older clover one. That’s the only giveaway on my bike. I can’t see your chainring so ………?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back