When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old World Schwinn

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Nice bike. But...Front fork is bent back enough to cause concern. Missing the original pedals and hand grips. Front and rear fenders missing obviously, seat also has been replaced.

I just noticed. Was there a repair done to the top of the right brake lever? The top clamp doesn't match the other which it should.

Last edited:
As I look closer...front brake as well as the lever is newer to the bike, though still old. Brake should be flat with Schwinn script on it, like the rear, and with a flat top bolt. That's a "Schwinn Approved" brake.
The cable guide ring for the SA cable is also newer, probably from a Raleigh and attached to the seat post due to the diameter difference. The top bar , larger circumference, still retains part of the original clamp, where it would have been attached when new. Just saying... ;)

Well, I almost owned the bike! :tonguewink:

Turns out "Reba", whose name is Barbara, put it on ebay (and lives one town over from me!). It was listed as "Buy Me Now" for $100, or Best Offer. So, I offered $55 which ebay wouldn't accept. Oh well. So a few days go by and she contacts me yesterday morning, saying for $55 cash it's mine because I live so close. Great! I give her my cell phone number so she can give her address and I'll come and get it...and then didn't hear from her anymore. I contacted a few more times and gave up.

Last night I get the email from ebay saying it sold for $100. Weird...

The Crown stuff is aftermarket. Crown was the brand of a wide variety of replacement parts - brakes, cables, seats, etc. Those date to maybe the 1960s. There's enough bike present to make a go of it, but it's a fair amount of work. It's missing a few things. The fork is fixable with the frame arm and a jig - the steel is pretty soft on those forks - just takes some care to get back to even and track straight. There's a $100 in parts there, if looking at just the parts value. Not sure if the rims are standard S6 or the upgraded stainless type. It's a score at $100 if you get a stainless wheelset, but it's kind of lackluster as a project if it's standard wheels. I just think there are better starting points out there. Maybe I've gotten picky over the years though.

The Crown stuff is aftermarket. Crown was the brand of a wide variety of replacement parts - brakes, cables, seats, etc. Those date to maybe the 1960s. There's enough bike present to make a go of it, but it's a fair amount of work. It's missing a few things. The fork is fixable with the frame arm and a jig - the steel is pretty soft on those forks - just takes some care to get back to even and track straight. There's a $100 in parts there, if looking at just the parts value. Not sure if the rims are standard S6 or the upgraded stainless type. It's a score at $100 if you get a stainless wheelset, but it's kind of lackluster as a project if it's standard wheels. I just think there are better starting points out there. Maybe I've gotten picky over the years though.

That's why I didn't want to go over $55. It's half of a bike, and to do it all correctly would have been to costly. I can wait for another.

@Oilit @SirMike1983 @Rear Facing Drop Out @GTs58 @bobcycles WELL......I bought the bike!!!

I just got it home with the bike about 15 minutes ago. Turns out Barbara had cancelled the auction, but didn't contact me until late this morning. She asked if I still wanted it, and of course I said yes. She someone else had contacted her offering more money, but she said I contacted her first and I lived only 4 miles away.

That said, I'll take some photos and start a new Post on Lightweight Schwinn's., probably later today or tomorrow. BTW....my wife was furious with me that I was going out for another bike with everything that's going on with the Virus here on Long Island. I wore a mask and gloves, of course, and I'll wipe the bike down with the appropriate chemicals to give it a clean bill of health before even taking photos. And yes, it was $55... :)

Back