When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oldest Schwinn Privately Owned

-
Here are the other pre-1900 Schwinns in the BMA. The womens bike is listed as an 1895, the quint, triplet, and family tandems are all listed as 1896s. V/r Shawn

1895 womens BMA.jpg
QUINT.jpg
TRIPLET.jpg
FAMILY.jpg

I think the white bearded man that's holding up the roadster on the cover of the 1897 catalog is the Count of Monte Cristo
after he escaped from prison.
Nothing like the freedom of a Schwinn built bicycle after years of solitary confinement for a crime you did not do.

Alexander Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo
is a literary classic.

It was even mentioned with great effect in the all time classic prison break film,
The Shawshank Redemption.

Here is the bike you are talking about and I believe the bars, seats, pedals, wheels, and grips have been replaced. The fenders were added. V/r Shawn

View attachment 353600
Did the museum say the fenders were added? If so, the paint looks like a perfect match, unless that is a repaint at some point? I can see the wheels are updated, but I have the same rear rim on my tandem, but no fenders (probably just missing). I think they may have had these tandems for a number of years... Oh, also, isnt that Quint a badass bike?! Talk about not having storage space!

Back