When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Olympics Oops!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I was watching the BMX racing a few days ago when the US rider took a really bad spill. Last that I heard they had taken him to the hospital, done two CT scans and were going to hold him for an additional 7 days for observation. Has anyone heard any updates as to his condition?

Good news is;
He’ll live to ride again.

I really enjoyed the Men’s BMX Freestyle event.
Those guys are maniacs!
I liked the British rider’s style, but for some reason, he only won the bronze medal.
I’m not a big fan of the judged sports.
Too many variables.
It’s hard to argue with the first guy who crosses the finish line wins.

Last edited:
Some of the old Ava stems and Lambert forks come to mind - they could snap suddenly and unexpectedly. In designing and manufacturing a bicycle or bike part, you're constantly balancing safety, robustness, weight savings, fit, price, etc. Reality is such that you can never totally fulfill each element. A fork or stem that is strong, but extremely light and precisely fitted generally will sacrifice price (expensive). And so, a very cheap stem might be made very durable, but then would sacrifice weight (heavy) and fit (one-size "fits all" sort of thing). I have a 1951 Raleigh Clubman that came with gorgeous, high-altitude duraluminum bars. They're exceedingly lightweight, and fairly valuable. But (and there is always the catch), they are pretty aggressive bars that don't fit my ride style. I switched to a set of early 1950s Raleigh steel all-rounder touring bars. Heavier? yes. Cheaper, yes. But they are a bit more rigid and fit me better. These are the compromises, I suppose, at any level of design, fit, and manufacturing. At the Olympic level, or Tour de France, or any of that stuff, price usually gives way first, and then perhaps durability because you just replace things with other, expensive parts.

A little CYA.View attachment 1456950

View attachment 1456951

I swear to God, those hand bars weren’t ours!
Lol!
Sorry, Argon.
Your name is plastered all over that bike, and the bars snapped like a breadstick in front of a Worldwide audience.
It doesn’t matter who’s bars those were.
You put your name on it.
They’re as good as yours now.
😂
I hear what you're saying.
The actual manufacturers 'Bastion' very quickly removed them from sale on their website.

A little CYA.View attachment 1456950

View attachment 1456951

I swear to God, those hand bars weren’t ours!
Lol!
Sorry, Argon.
Your name is plastered all over that bike, and the bars snapped like a breadstick in front of a Worldwide audience.
It doesn’t matter who’s bars those were.
You put your name on it.
They’re as good as yours now.
😂
Reminds me of the 1976 Winter Olympics where Adidas new 38 mm pivot binding sole snapped just before the finish and caused the Russian using them to loose the gold. Adidas claimed he filed them down, ha. Why do that?

And in the end, it was the Italian team on the Pinnarello’s that would set a new world record for the event, and win the Gold.

The Argon 18’s picked up Silver and Bronze though with the Dutch and Australian teams respectively.
Not too bad, considering how things started out, with that snapped handlebar.

Last edited:
Nice to see that strange looking Lotus bike in action.
Way to go, Great Britain!
You’ve produced some outstanding cycling stars.
These Olympic Games have most certainly been to your liking.

Kind of confusing to follow, but overall, track cycling is a great spectator sport.
So, it’s really a shame, that these Olympic Games are being held without the spectators in the stands to cheer on their favorite riders.

Last edited:
I agree, the lack of atmosphere provided by an enthusiastic audience is definitely different.
Over here the general opinion is that it's not been a brilliant games for the track cycling team overall so far.
Matt Walls being the only gold so far.
Overall we also won gold in the mtb cross country and ladies BMX (both disciplines) quite a few silver medals too.
It's still been enjoyable to watch.
I'm looking forward to the new 'track cycling champions league's series' which starts in the autumn.

.....then, minutes after writing the above post.
These two come along, Katie Archibald and Laura Kenny.
A superlative demonstration of the 'Madison' event, a masterclass.
They basically led from start to finish, winning 10 of the 12 sprints over the 120 laps.
Katie's second gold in two consecutive Olympics.
Little Laura has now won 5 gold medals over 3 consecutive Olympic games, the most successful female Olympic cyclist ever, incredible!

Back