When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

On the subject of "The Majah" aka Major Taylor

-

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
There does not seem to be a thread here on the CABE dedicated to Major Taylor and his impact on pre-33 bicycles & society, @bricycle started a thread dedicated to legit artifacts he may have owned and it dawned on me to start a thread of some of the articles and pieces of information I have dredged regarding Mr. Taylor.

New York Journal Aug 30 1898 Major Taylor Comet.jpg

Madison Square Garden Velodrome 1.jpg

1898 Majah Taylor Beats Michael article.jpg

He sparked a lot of interest online last year as the "black lives matter" movement took off over here in the early part of the year. But sadly, this resurgence in his fame was fleeting.
I remember @66TigerCat's thread, it was very interesting.

Marshall's autobiography certainly makes for an interesting read, not just because of the racism he endured but because of his accounts of the skullduggery and scheming from his contemporaries that seemed to occur in virtually every race he entered.
His rivals were very resentful of his evidently superior skills and 'nous' as a track racer, and obviously all that money he was earning rankled.

I still live in hope of seeing the rumoured film of his life one day.

There have been a couple of announcements regarding movies about MT but they never seem to materialize. Ken Burns did a doc about Jack Johnson a number of years ago but boxing holds more interest with the general public than cycling ever will.

Back