When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

On to my next bike!

-
As usual I have added, removed and changed things on my twin Hercules bikes. Just like a parent, having 2 human twins, I do not have a favorite of my 2 bikes!

I am in need of a mid 1950s Hercules hand brake control and a Hurcumatic B type 3, three speed hub, for my Hercules Windsor bike that my cousin will be shipping to me from Massachusetts. If any one out there has either of these parts, I would appreciate if you would let me know and sell them to me.

1Hercules1.JPG

My cousin in Massachusetts finally shipped my Hercules Windsor bicycle to me in California. So far I have overhauled both the bottom bracket and the steering head tube. Additionally, I have removed the black over spray paint that the bike had on it as a result of the close proximity of an aerosol painting project and both the electrical tape and masking tape that was on the front of the top tube. Also, I replaced both the rear fenders support bridge and the pedals. Lastly, I replaced the single speed coaster brake hub with a Hercules B type 2 hub, using both the original Dunlop rim and its' 285mm spokes. Next, I will be adding two sets of hand brakes and a Hercules 3 speed shifter and all the cables. The photo below shows what the bike looked like when I originally purchased it in Road Island. When I finish doing all the repairs and adding some accessories, I will post another photo.

Last edited:
Very nice classic bikes!

You may want to try very fine rubbing compound on the dull paint as a first step in spiffing them up. It can also remove overspray and other foreign stuff on paint. Do not do this on the pinstripes or decals as they can rub right off. I have revived a number of dead paint English steeds with this method. It is tedious but well worth the effort.

Last edited:
Attached is a photo of the work that I have completed on my Hercules Windsor bicycle.

I added a new Brooks B66 saddle, NOS Midland rear rack, NOS pedals, Hungerford Super Jet hand Grips, Space Patrol decals, RI kick stand, headlight bracket, hand brake controls and Her-cu-matic shifter. I still need to add the wheels, tires and cables.

If anyone on the Cabe has a photo of the Hercules Windsor chain guard decal, that is in better condition than the one on my bike. I would appreciate if you would add it to this post, so I can have a duplicate made.

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 6.02.54 PM.png

Last edited:
My Hercules Windsor Bicycle, that was found at a storage facility auction in Rhode Island, is now complete! Because of the bike being in storage for many years, it has very little sun fading to the flamboyant red paint. I still have not found a photo of a better quality Hercules Windsor chain guard decal than the damaged one on my bike. A good quality decal is the last thing that this bicycle needs to be finished!

Last edited:
Back