When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Once again, need help ID'ing a bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Rivnut

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
This bike is listed locally with very little info. Can anyone get me close OR tell me where to find a list of Elgin serial numbers? I've been trying to figure it out based on frame, chain ring, rack, chain guard, etc. but so far nothing, nada, zilch. Based on a previous thread on Elgin head badges, this should place this as a 1936 or later, but that's as far as I can get. Thanks in advance. Ed (I'm trying to reach the seller for a picture of the serial number but no response yet.)

1549758696035.png

1549758783468.png

1549758826900.png

Murray built; may actually need early Murray numbers.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/murray-serial-number-project.7014/
Straight down tube, may precede the curved. Straight seat tube, may precede the curved.
Fork looks different. Why doesn't the bike fall down without a drop-stand.
Sears 1938-39 elgin 2.jpgSears 1938-39 elgin 1.jpg
Maybe check for Alemite fittings; note the standard shows a triangle cluster, versus a yoke on the tank model.
Maybe also check the CB hub for cooling fins/features.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll hopefully hear from the seller soon. Any idea where I can find a list of Elgin numbers?

Ed

I found this picture on a site called Dave's vintage bicycles. It's simply referred to as a 1938 tank model. No names of birds or anything else.

1549770846422.png

The one I pictured in post #1 seems to be missing a few parts; fenders, seat, handlebars, and tank. What kind of price should it bring? What would the missing parts bring? Are they plentiful or rare?

Straight down tube, may precede the curved. Straight seat tube, may precede the curved.
View attachment 946315View attachment 946316
Maybe check for Alemite fittings; note the standard shows a triangle cluster, versus a yoke on the tank model.
Looks like it has a sidestand.

Wow so someone got a nice original paint fairly complete Elgin bike for 175? Sounds like great deals do actually happen sometimes on ebay?

View attachment 946315View attachment 946316

Can anyone post a picture of the full page of the left side this catalog. I'd like to read the entire description. I searched Google for Sear's Elgin ads and couldn't find it.

Thanks,
Ed

Back