When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One 'Burban, One Scotch, and One Beer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
So I guess I need a special tool to take this apart, where can I find it, and how much is it gonna cost 🤬

thumbnail_IMG_8014.jpg

Also, anyone know what size ball bearings this badboy takes? Are they 5/16" or 7/32"?
7/32” would be my guess. I need the same tool, I just haven’t ordered it. Someone linked me to one in one of my threads, and I seem to remember it being like 20 bucks or something like that. Pretty reasonable.

7/32” would be my guess. I need the same tool, I just haven’t ordered it. Someone linked me to one in one of my threads, and I seem to remember it being like 20 bucks or something like that. Pretty reasonable.
Was it this?

I don’t believe so. Isn’t your freewheel a Shimano?
I believe so; it says 'Japan Model J' on the hub, and I found this info. on an old bike forum:

That's a Schwinn Approved Model J (Japan), which was made by Shimano. You can tell because the outer spoke protector (or "top protector" as Shimano liked to call it) is attached by a snap ring. By comparison the outer spoke protector on the Schwinn Approved Model F (France = Normandy) screwed on.

The proper freewheel removal tool for the Model J/Shimano is a Park FR-4, while the Model F/Normandy freewheel requires a Bicycle Research CT-3.

Having pulled the tires and tubes off, I've found that the rims are a lot rustier than I thought, especially the front. Considering how corroded the cassette and derailleur are, I'm considering finding a cheap donor bike to canibalize; however I'm finding it hard to locate a suitable five speed, though I've found a very nice Varsity 10-speed (I believe it's either a '78 or '79 with the GT-500 rear derailleur) that also has new tires and tubes for dirt cheap-- are the two cassettes and derailleurs compatible?

Back