When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One dirty Hawthorne

-
you can have this one for cost of shipping plus $5 for a couple of cold soda pops

3CFF220A-44A2-4A63-AC78-8477794A4CE5.jpeg

By the looks of the bend on the middle tube, it looks like it took a really hard hit to the front end. That's what caused the headtube angle to be so far out of whack. Instead of pulling or jacking things back in position, they just brazed the frame cracks and called it a day.

This hawthorne just got significantly less dirty. Thanks @rustjunkie for the killer deal on the frame. I like the color and looks like it is in great shape. It may be a little while before I can really get the bike together. Now that the frame looks so nice i want the rest to look and ride good too. This means lots of cleaning and straightening. Now I'm cooking with gas!

20190620_105814.jpg

Those Torrington pedals ain't cheap. I saw one orphan right pedal here for 40 bucks but it was in much better shape than the one I have. It's funny how the rubber on my pedal is worn down good but not a lot of rust. Like the bike was ridden often and kept inside. The other chrome bits support this theory. I know that the seat is not original but I do not see any labels visible. Leather seems to be in good shape. The leather actually sits on the rails. Is there supposed to be a seat pan on this thing?

View attachment 1006168

View attachment 1006169

View attachment 1006170
It looks like a Brooks, there is an adjustment bolt at the nose of the saddle to help give it the proper tension on the leather.

It looks like a Brooks, there is an adjustment bolt at the nose of the saddle to help give it the proper tension on the leather.
That might just need some tensioning. I gotta imagine there are vintage lightweight guys that could use a vintage saddle and make this work. Really uncomfortable now though.

That might just need some tensioning. I gotta imagine there are vintage lightweight guys that could use a vintage saddle and make this work. Really uncomfortable now though.
let me know if you want to get rid of it, I just had to buy a vintage one for a bike, doesn't hurt to have another handy
20190620_151657.jpg

I noticed that yours is a dual rail, I would have preferred that on mine, I had to get a single rail and modify a clamp set to work.

Back