When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One of a kind Dealer custom Black Phantom -Original unrestored - Value??

-

HarryO47

On Training Wheels
I have the 1950 Schwinn Black Phantom bicycle that my mother won at a Sports Show in Peoria, IL back in 1950 or 1951. She had the closest guess at the serial number to win. The bike was a custom modified by the Schwinn dealer in Peoria, Illinois Cycle, and this company is still in business in Peoria. Modifications include a reinforced front handle bar that I think came from the 1940's Auto Cycle Deluxe bikes, and instead of painted fenders and passenger seat like other Black Phantoms this one had all chrome funders and passenger seat. It also has the Peoria King badge on it rather than the standard Schwinn badge. The spring fork, locking fork, and handbrake were also on this bike. Due to these features I suspect it is truly a one of a kind bicycle. Other than the tires, the key, and the rear reflector which was torn off, this bike is all original and in unrestored condition. It has always been stored inside but in an unheated garage so there is rust damage on it. I will try and include a couple of photos to show condition. I would appreciate any estimates of what this would be worth in this original unrestored condition. Thank you.

right side.jpg

Peoria King Badge.jpg

tank.jpg

rear seat.jpg

left side.jpg

fork lock.jpg

bike003.jpg

bike002.jpg

bike001.jpg

Sorry, I meant to say the headlight on the front fender was also chrome instead of painted, and was just plain wrong about the rear fender - it was the chrome passenger seat that made it unique and not the rear fender. Thank you for your response.

Sorry, I meant to say the headlight on the front fender was also chrome instead of painted, and was just plain wrong about the rear fender - it was the chrome passenger seat that made it unique and not the rear fender. Thank you for your response.
I believe you're referring to the rear carrier(rack), right? Unfortunately many kids did used them as a "passenger seat" and bent them to Hell.

The lack of paint on the front light and tank are odd, as well as the difference in corrosion from the fork legs to the fork's truss rods. It definitely looks like it has all aged together for some time though. Handlebars, chromed rack, and chromed fork legs were not standard issue on the Phantom, but man, I think the cool story and paperwork make up for issues the bike may have.

Looks to me like the chrome might've been exposed to some kind of acid fumes? Maybe some pool chemicals stored nearby? I had the same thing happen to some chrome on an old Harley years ago.
Sadly, I think that was just how Schwinn saved money on making a bike with that much chrome, it was thin, poor quality (on the larger parts) compared to everything else Schwinn made. You'll see a lot of Phantom fenders with that green hue....and are lucky to find them not rotted through.

Back