When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One of my Classics Going to a Museum

-

partsguy

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
As everyone knows, my time and my space have become nonexistent. Being a new parent is a thrill, but also very exhausting. Off and on, I posted my 1961 Monark for sale, then changed my mind to keep it. It is a unique middleweight, being a Huffman-Manufactured Monark, and totally complete and in good original condition. They usually are tore up, missing parts, etc. This was really nice and always a pleasure to ride.

With changes in my life and moving, I had to downsize, and I knew that Dayton’s Carillon Park had historical info on Huffy’s acquisition of Monark, but did not own an actual bike from that era. So, I offered it to them in June. I was recently informed that the board voted to accept this classic into the collection, and to be on display in the future. They were very excited to get a bike from this era in this condition, since they have a gap in 1950s and 60s bicycles.

What a great, permanent home for this bike. It won’t get parted out, or toted around to swap meets. It will be appreciated as I have appreciated it. It was saved from a scrapper’s pickup in 2010. The build thread for this bike is on the CABE. It will go for one last ride this weekend.

F5C307F9-BF99-4F0E-A3EB-0DC60B0D7343.jpeg

98B6F467-3A55-468E-8276-5018DC382FDB.jpeg

B5C07BA6-B05D-4964-814D-89CB2A6F55D5.jpeg

596A3EB8-A825-4229-A1ED-71CA14C01D31.jpeg

Thank you, guys! My wife and I had our first date here, and I proposed under the Carillon tower, as the bells rang and started to chime, she said “yes”! The park definitely has some special meaning now.

Congratulations on finding a new safe home for your Huffman. Hope the little one is doing well as are the exhausted parents.

Congratulations on finding a new safe home for your Huffman. Hope the little one is doing well as are the exhausted parents.

Thank you! As for the latter part of your comment, we've been better.

Last edited:
Great story! Thanks for sharing.
Best of luck with the new addition. We have 4 kids. The youngest is 34 and we survived...mostly.

Back