When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ONE RARE BICYCLE- a Racycle model "Suspension City"

-
Here are a few images to show some of the details of my cushion frame Racycle, one of the coolest I think is the really rare Rubberneck Saddle from the Bunker Saddle co, Chicago. This saddle was way ahead of its time, it was labelled as a pneumatic suspension seat, the real advancement was in the rubber cushion, the center had tiny vertically oriented square tubes molded into it which gave tiny air pockets that provided the cushion. The patent was filed 116 years ago, similar comfort was recently introduced with the advent of Gel saddles.

View attachment 62770

And here's a couple of images of mine:
View attachment 62771View attachment 62772View attachment 62774

Now, most have probably already seen the images of my forks after Blue got done with them but for those who haven't.

View attachment 62775 I'll get good shots of them on the frame soon!

Mine has numbers for what I think were to keep frames matched as they were being manufactured, mine reads 193R both above the cushion and, at the dropout as seen in these two:
View attachment 62777View attachment 62778

And lastly (for now, till I can get some better ones taken), the frame pivot: View attachment 62779

Its just so cool how many of these Racycles are different from each other.
That seat is also so unique. I'd almost put that seat in its own display case.
As for the numbers, yup thats to keep those pieces matched together for the same bike.

Sounds like you are pumped up about your Racycle! How long have you had it now?

Blue, she's been under my care for almost 26 years now but thanks to you, the CABE and a ton of time on the web, I've finally been able to get some information about her, get re-enthused and narrow down a date. None of this enthusiasm would have returned if it hadn't been for your first post!

As any who've seen my other posts already know, the restoration is under way, forks were first, Blue did an outstanding job with them, next will be either the seat frame/post & cushion or the cranks, pedals, chainring. At that time I'll probably also do the frame. Wheels and hubs are on the lookout for.... Blue has a front hub with my name on it and may have hoops for her, I've got my eyes peeled for a special fixie hub for the rear (really liking the Thor right now). Oh, and of course a pair of wood drop bars to replace the ones that were on her originally.

I'm thinking of reproducing the seat, just one, so that the original can stay that way (original).

I'd promised a couple of better pictures of her as the weather cleared, well Isaac is past us, clear and hot here again.... had a little time this afternoon so....

better shot of the Rubberneck Saddle:
7882441010_821913f3c4_z-1.jpg

And here are some better shots of her sitting outside;

1903 Racycle cushion....
7882436230_e479a435db_z-1.jpg

7882430408_93f42fb684_z-1.jpg

7882425494_aebca30f78_z-1.jpg

It's tougher shooting a dark frame outside than I thought!....better images yet to come!

I was lucky finding her when I did, I first fell for her when i was around 12-14 years old, she was finally under my care about ten years later and moved to Boston with me.

The handlebars that were on her when I first had her were wood drop bars like the ones that Blue has, I screwed up big time and left them at a house I shared with a friend. When I moved, he kept them stored and just over the years, they've disappeared. The last place that I knew that they were was in Ma. (where I lived before moving to Florida).

She was always on display at my house until about 12 years ago, she went into storage. She remained in storage until the end of last year when just out of curiosity, I did a search for Racycle on google, the first thing that came up was Blue's first post as seen here: http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?18228-RACYCLE-madness-my-first-post

Wow! somebody that was as passionate about what to me was still an unknown 100 year old bicycle! Boy was I wrong, Blue's passion for our beloved Racycles far surpasses mine. I'm lucky to have been taking care of mine as long as I have. Blue has inspired me to bring her back to what she once was. A rattle-can restoration was done before she came to me so, I have no problems making that go away for a proper restoration, which is under way. With Blues help, knowledge (and guidence), she will be better than I've ever seen her. I have visions in my head, it's just a matter of making them come together!

My thanks go out firstly to the CABE for helping all of us on here find answers and friends who share similar passions for our two-wheeled brethren. And most importantly to Blue who has become what I consider a good friend (although we haven't actually met) and has put up with a plethora of rookie questions but who shares common visions and passions for our particular version of madness...

I won't go into a list, but there is a few others who have helped along the way with info, ideas for my Racycle...namely Lawrence (Larmo63), (Rustyspoke) and Walter Branche, all of whom I wouldn't have the pleasure of sharing words with without The CABE (and the Wheelmen for Walter). I'm sure that there are others and will be more.

I encourage everyone to help others as you can, remember, at one time all of us knew little about what may currently be our expertise, share that knowledge, pass on the passion!!

that's it for now.......

Last edited:
i would not trust that wire holding the chain to the back sprocket ! especially out of the seat climbing ! last time i tried that i barely went 50 miles before the chain broke !

Back