When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opalescent paint question

-

rollfaster

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
So I’m working on a 54 Wasp with opalescent red paint. It seems pretty thin. Looking for some advice on this. Would it be better to use polishing compound and wax instead of 0000 steel wool/WD40 and wax? Don’t want to go to heavy on it.

4B390739-9BAA-4D24-AAC9-869FF9BD7C44.jpeg

I never use 0000 steel wool on paint...only bare metal. Mostly chrome, and that's used with WD-40 and then a chrome/metal polish.

I go Rubbing Compound (used carefully depending on the condition of the paint)...then Polishing Compound...the Polish...then Carnuba Wax.

Rubbing compound is more aggressive than polishing compound. But before that, if the paint is old and has a bunch of contamination build up IN it, you'd first want to go over it with a clay bar to clean the contamination. Does the paint feel like glass or sandpaper? Clay bar after good soap and water bath. If you've never tried it before, I would highly recommend it. You use a clay bar with a lubricant; I use Meguiar's Easy Detail Spray

Back