When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opalescent paint silver base selection

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

billygoat!

Look Ma, No Hands!
IMG_1050.jpeg

IMG_1048.jpeg

IMG_1046.jpeg

IMG_1045.jpeg

IMG_1067.jpeg

IMG_1452.jpeg

IMG_1048.jpeg
When I got my all-original 1954 Green Phantom in 2019, it came with a repop black-painted tank. Wasn't too bad, except it's likely made outside of the U.S, and it had the REALLY dreadful sounding imported horn. (OMG, it doesn't matter how one adjusts the set screw). This past summer I found the most fantastic Schwinn tank with the most perfect interior and flawless original horn. It was even the same color as my bike, yet the paint was mostly missing. So I discovered that Duplicolor sells the original color aerosol. However, I just used whatever silver basecoat that I had on the shelf. Came out beautiful, but two shades off, and a bit too shiny. So I stripped it off & painted it black, and with just the right gloss to match the gloss & texture of the OEM finish on the chainguard. I like the black tank on this bike. However, this is a suggestion to anyone wishing to respray opalescent: Buy a variety of silver shades and test sample which silver will match the original best. Also, always use adhesion spray on chrome, before the basecoat. Also, spray the finish rather "dry", rather than too-shiny "wet coats". Anyway, I'm happy to have a real period-correct, authentic Schwinn tank and (most especially) factory horn. All in rust-free condition.

Last edited:
Thats tough paint to apply correctly all the best with it. Please show us the outcome. That paint says to apply right over the "chrome" for best results. I have used it on BMX chrome forks with great results than cleared it. Of course, the more coats you use the darker it gets. I have that green but kind of leary to use it on a Phantom part. Runs very easy. Also, I don't believe you'll find any base coat under the original color on that tank?
Thanks
Tommy

Last edited:
Hi Tommy,
I decided to make it black, and I did. I like the black tank better, as it keys it into the black on the chainguard. At least the tank & horn are period-correct, rather than the repop it came with.
All the Best,
billygoat!

Back