When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opaque Red 1974 Schwinn Sports Tourer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

kostnerave

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi everyone. Here are some pictures of my latest project, a 1974 Schwinn Sports Tourer finished in Opaque Red. I spotted this bike on ebay, listed for a lot of money. The price convinced me to pass, but I kept coming back to it to see if it had sold. Finally, I contacted the seller to see if he was flexible on his price. A day or two later, he came back with an offer quite a bit lower and I committed to buy it. The bicycle was originally purchased from John's bicycles in Pasadena, Ca. The original owner had the dealership install fenders and replace the Brooks B-15 with a mattress saddle. The bike came with it's original owners manual and a service stub from John's stating that it was a special order. The overall condition of the bike was beautiful, showing little, if any, wear. Of course, all of the grease was dried out and the original LeTour tires were hard as a rock. I completely disassembled the bike and carefully polished, detailed and serviced everything. I installed new tubes, tires, an era correct n.o.s. Schwinn bag and a Park bag holder. This bike, more than any other Schwinn I've worked on, fascinated me with the range of components Schwinn chose for this model. Parts are present from many countries including The United States, France, Germany, Belgium, Japan, Switzerland and Great Britian. The Opaque Red paint definitely dates this bike as a 1974 model, but the frame is date coded 1972. Some research on the Cabe shows that this happened frequently with Schwinn's fillet brazed frames. I have limited space, but I'll clear a spot for this one. I hope everyone enjoys the pictures and thank you for looking.

Red Super Tourer 001.JPG

Red Super Tourer 003.JPG

Red Super Tourer 006.JPG

Red Super Tourer 007.JPG

Red Super Tourer 008.JPG

Red Super Tourer 012.JPG

Red Super Tourer 015.JPG

Red Super Tourer 018.JPG

Red Super Tourer 019.JPG

Red Super Tourer 020.JPG

Red Super Tourer 027.JPG

-----

WOW! :D

"Prolly were no that shiny the moment she came out the shipping carton."

Interesting to see that it came with a T.A. chainset. Was thinking that beginning with the 1974 model year they came through with NERVAR chainsets. Or was 1974 perhaps a transition year where some examples received T.A. and some NERVAR?

wrt serial on head tube -

member @Metacortex has posted about this in the past stating that those head tubes were made up in quantity years advance so they do not represent reliable dating aids.

-----

Hi juvela, The serial number is: MH024153. It is a good, clear stamp located at the bottom right hand side of the head tube.

That's about as nice as I would ever hope to see! I recently picked up a 1947 (approx.) New World that also came from John's, but it's not nearly as clean. Does anybody know when this shop closed?

Wow, Thank you for all of the nice comments and good vibes! The CABE is the coolest vintage bicycle site, ever. period.

Wow, what a beautiful bike! The sports tourers are a challenging bike to detail with all their bright work. They are also nice riding bikes with their long wheelbase. I don’t think I would ride yours, it is too nice,. That belongs front and center in your collection. Here is a pic of mine in the same color but not nearly as nice. Tim

8933A203-93F6-402A-8925-32E2A599E781.jpeg

73A697B0-8C5E-4929-A0DF-408A58389D22.jpeg

great find i would ride the wheels off of it ! thats what they were made for !.got to love the red color unsure what shes worth but she was worth every cent you paid ! bikes this nice dont come along all that often ,i see your from texas i have some family from texas myself in all honestly enjoy your bike its not too nice to ride ,if you feel like it ride her up to pilot mountain ill put you up for a week to rest for your return trip home ,thats a good way to bond with her ! best wishes if you decide to head up to see me i will send you contact information so we can talk on your way in regards mike

Back