When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Operation Safety Streamline - Repair the "Repaired" fork

-

azbug-i

I live for the CABE
I recently acquired a couple of my dream bikes. Unfortunately one came with a surprise. A very disfunctional fork repair. :( what a bummer. Its sad that the person i bought this from was not told about the repair when he bought it. And it came to me under the same circumstances. Still a wonderful bike and i look forward to riding it.

The current state of this fork and riding condition of this bike is binds when turning and a lot of play in the headset.

Yesterday began the investigation on how to fix it. The steer tube is not straight and it is ovalized down low allowing for the play.

I will be going to the bicycle recycling place here to look for 2 to 3 donor forks and my friend steve will be performing another repair.

Here are before pictures.

20171019_154735.jpg

20171019_154742.jpg

20171019_154749.jpg

20171019_154908.jpg

Oh shawn @Freqman1 different steve haha. I didnt think to ask steve velo on here! But he would be the best guy! My friend steve here is really talented too :)

Last edited:
@New Mexico Brant im planning to. I hope diana can get saturday the 6th off work so we can drive out that day. Getting time off work has been a real b for her this year. So i may come alone. Id just rather not. Sucks driving alone haha

I am still getting my head around logistics but we maybe driving right by your way.

@New Mexico Brant please let me know! Id love to road trip with you and i have a way more flexible schedule! Let me know what your hotel plans are. I would likely head up to altadena if justin is available which might mean taking my own car is best anyway but depending on what dates your traveling i could just do a hotel or whatever. We can talk about it

Does anyone know if the lower bearing races were pressed on and if they can be removed?

They are pressed on, but can't be removed if the steering tube has the fork stop welded on, as yours does.
You will have to remove the steer tube to replace the bearing race.
My advice, would be to send your fork to John Atkinson in San Diego for the repair.
He has done one of these for me, and he understands better than anybody what is needed to be done.
Besides, my guess is, that he will be your buyer when you decide to sell the bike, so I'm sure, he would appreciate being able to do any repairs necessary.

Back