When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion on 1978 Schwinn Superior bike.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

John Gialanella

Finally riding a big boys bike
I bought a 1978 Schwinn Superior bike about 2 months ago. It was a display model an the seller had it for a long time and never rode it. It is in excellent condition, you can see that it has never been ridden. My question is if I start to ride it does the crank need to be greased with new grease. Even though it is 43 years old and never ridden and crank is sealed I would think the grease is OK. what do members say. It is Sky Blue color and really nice looking.
Thanks John.

I rebuilt a kickback hub twenty years ago but never used it. Recently, I decided to use it and opened it up to take a look. The white lithium grease had broken down without any use. I cleaned it and re-greased it. The old grease was easy to clean and it didn't take long since it hadn't been used.

Great find and nice bike.
I definitely agree with the others about servicing the bike before riding it.
Here is my '77 blue, and '76 red, both modified to my liking.

Thanks to all who responded. And it goes without saying for the original 43 year old Super record tires and tubes to be replaced. This blue Superior is like mine, except for the handle bars, rear derailleur, and the Crank. I guess maybe I will sell the extra NOS Schwinn Super Record tires (not the ones on the bike) for display purposes only.
John.

I'd be more concerned with the wheel bearings. they are smaller, spin faster, and carry all the weight.

as for the crank I'd take the chain off and spin the crank, that will tell you if it needs lube.

Thanks, I forgot about the wheel bearings. I have spun the crank with the chain on. And it spins fast and smooth, but I guess until you do it with the chain off you will not have an accurate indication.
John.

Personally, if it was mine and I planned on riding it, I would clean and grease every bearing in the bike. I would not want to take a chance on damaging anything. In most of the old bikes that I have taken apart, the old grease in them was hard, dirty, dried up or non-existent. Post some pics of your Superior. Those are great bikes and your's sounds like a really nice one! I have a soft spot for the fillet brazed Schwinns.

I know you are going to be surprised, I am one of the few who does not own any mobile devices. I just have my Verizon Fios triple play. But I will be taking pictures of it soon. My Niece has a smart phone and I bought a throw away Camera which sometimes takes decent pictures, but not as nice as Smart phone. I will then post on site. I cannot believe that there are some bikes out there from years ago that were not ridden or not that much. I also have a 1962 Schwinn Continental in Coppertone that is in very nice condition. And my third bike is a 1982 Schwinn Voyager 11.8 in Silver/Blue that was restored to like new. The Bike is so beautiful but it is a little to big for me.

Back