When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions needed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

marching_out

Finally riding a big boys bike
Let me start by stating I am not a muscle bike guy. I collect everything from BMX to ballooners and flip other bikes to support the ones I keep. I'm an auction junkie so that's where I pick up 95% of my bikes. In the last 4-5 years, I can count on one hand the number of banana seat bikes I have seen. I've only ended up with two, this one being one of them. Not sure what I want to do with it and that's why I'm posting. This looks to be a complete 1972 Fastback but in ROUGH shape. I've got a feeling some of the chrome is not salvageable. I know parts are few and far between and expensive. So...#1 flip as is? #2 tear down, clean as best I can, rebuild, then flip? #3 go full bore and drop some $$$ then flip?
IMG_4184.JPG

IMG_4185.JPG

IMG_4186.JPG

IMG_4188.JPG

IMG_4190.JPG

IMG_4192.JPG

My opinion is #3 is out of the question, unless you want to loose money. #1 is the best option in my opinion. I feel if it was a clean decent original bike, being as it is a 1973, and there are a ton of them, it would be a $500.00 bike.

OK, I'll pile on: I vote for Option #1. That makes it an unanimous opinion, as rare on this forum as on the Supreme Court.

I was betting #1 would be the selection. I didn't want to taint the well but I've already had two guys tell me the same thing and I was leaning that way. As much as I would like to make the attempt, I know I'll get into it, get pissed about halfway through because it will never be what I want and spent way to much money. Thanks for the advice everyone.

How much did you buy it for? I ask because a dip in evaporust will go a long way towards getting a better return ROI. And I for one like tearing stuff down and building back up, even if it takes a few days.

So...#1 flip as is? #2 tear down, clean as best I can, rebuild, then flip? #3 go full bore and drop some $$$ then flip?

Option 1: This is the easiest route and you might make a few bucks to the right buyer depending on what you have in it.

Option 2: How much do you want to spend? A lot of people dig the patina look and you might be able to pull that look off of you overhaul for functionality; clean and re-pack bearings, lubricate and a set of tires and tubes. It's pretty rough but it might clean up a little maybe.

Option 3: Full bore restoration- You wont make your money back. Even if you paint, re-chrome, silk screen the chain guard etc.. yourself or have friend that hook you up, it's really hard to make any profit and is likely not worth the investment.

It's a shame it's in that condition but that's the nature of the game.

Back