When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Options for rusted wheels and pealing chrome

-

wackpuma

On Training Wheels
I got a Sears JC Higgins out of the alley recently that I want to restore. Based on serial number it is from 1953 from the Murray Ohio Factory. My question is about what to do with the rusted wheels. Options that I have been considering:

1) wire brush on my drill
2) Oxalic Acid Bath
3) would it be easier to use the hubs but relace them to new rims and spokes?

I am not experience with what to do when the chrome is badly pealing. Does all the chrome need to be removed?
Whats your all advice?

Thanks.

IMG_20200516_170336.jpg

IMG_20200516_170758.jpg

IMG_20200516_170802.jpg

Last edited:
If the rest of the bike is as rough as the wheels, I wouldn't go crazy trying to make them new looking. The OX acid will do nothing on them but make them worse. Wire brush them with your drill motor. That front hub is not from the 50's. Replace any broken spokes and spray everything silver. It will look fine. Or, buy a couple Murray rims. They're easy to find and cheap.

$30 for a pair of rims, but $50+ for shipping?

Take the rims and have them media blasted to remove th he chrome then paint them.

I wouldn't even mess with those. You can spend hours on end cleaning those up and still end up with junk rims. Thirty bucks for a new pair of drops. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=193469043673
Naw, It's $164 bucks a pair! "
Shipping:
$51.80. I wouldn't touch that crap wit your money. But these rims are trash too. That's why , in 50's and later, Murray got a junk repetition.. Not only not worth 'Restoring' But The nipples are probably not going to come off the spokes. Best route for these rims is just to get a girls bike from 60's and newer off craig's list for 30 bucks just for the wheels then beg a scrap man to take off the curb. Heck there's a girl early 60's my neighbor has been trying to give to me for 10 years. It aint worth the time and money to part out and ship.
"

Last edited:
Naw, It's $164 bucks a pair! "
Shipping:
$51.80. I wouldn't touch that crap wit your money. But these rims are trash too. That's why , in 50's and later, Murray got a junk repetition.. Not only not worth 'Restoring' But The nipples are probably not going to come off the spokes. Best route for these rims is just to get a girls bike from 60's and newer off craig's list for 30 bucks just for the wheels then beg a scrap man to take off the curb. Heck there's a girl early 60's my neighbor has been trying to give to me for 10 years. It aint worth the time and money to part out.
"

Rims at thirty bucks, pick them up locally and forget shipping them. I wasn't suggesting he buy those from that seller, just a reference for what he can get some new rims for.
Those are $98.30 a pair delivered to my door.

Rims at thirty bucks, pick them up locally and forget shipping them. I wasn't suggesting he buy those from that seller, just a reference for what he can get some new rims for.
Those are $98.30 a pair delivered to my door.
Yeah, seller doesn't say it but he's discounting shipping for 2. I tossed into cart, They're $114.55 a pair to my door.

Regardless, the only example those 20 year old, (so he says) it doesn't matter what hype he's pushing Are just cheap china crap, that, for restoring ya can get at the metal scrap yard for a few bucks. I got a couple of those I picked up from trash because had good white walls. However, have to admit, rims been sitting out side over 3 years, I expected would rust out by now but haven't. I mean, ya do that to today's Schwinn chrome and they'd be flat brown. I.E. The OP would be tossing money out the widow B/C ya don't even need 50's , 60's wheels to fix this bike. they's plenty all over the place with the exact same wheel pattern lying in back yards, garages etc. people pay to dump.

Last edited:
Once the chrome plating peels away there is nothing to be done but go to bare metal...why bother?

The spokes look salvageable but the length may change with different rims...I say find a nice pair of used hoops and relace them.

BTW - this may be helpful

OA bath is for removing rust under paint while preserving the decals. Do not use on aluminum parts.

Citric acid solution and brass hand brushes is best for cleaning chrome without dulling it - it will clean those hubs nicely..

#0000 steel wool with oil for heavier corrosion on most metals.

Back