When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Orange Krate garage find.

-
In fact, now I remember grabbing that same shifter with the ridges on it as a kid, a blue bike, not a krate.

Last edited:
What letters does the serial number begin with, the serial number will be either on the rear dropouts or on the bottom of the head tube. Handlebars look 1968/69. 1968 would not have a front fender and have a pogo seat. Seat is wrong for a krate, shifter looks 70-73. '68/'69 would have a straight up shifter. Seat would be white with orange stripe and "S". Listen to everyone, do not paint this bike. Wash it with very soapy water and leave it alone. Looks like it will have real nice paint. Be careful around the lettering on the chain guard and the rest of the bike, wash it very lightly do not use cleaners on them. They wipe off very easily with many cleaners. Serial number will tell the year. Very nice bike. I don't know everything about anything but I am pretty sure of what I posted. I had many Krates in the past but it has been a while. I'm sure someone will correct if I posted something wrong.

Last edited:
Mmm, will post the vin, it's just resting while I decide what to do and what not to do. I'm leaning towards just leaving it just like it is. There are though some good nicks in the paint on the left side. thanks.

Serial

Serial on the rear axle mounting tab and is KE09940 so should be a 70 right? Front fender add on or original? And what was this seat oem on if not Krates? Fastbacks?

Last edited:
Serial on the rear axle mounting tab and is KE09940 so should be a 70 right? Front fender add on or original? And what was this seat oem on if not Krates? Fastbacks?

Your bike was built in Oct of 1969 . The only year the krates didn't have front fenders was the first year of production in 1968 . There was two different bent shifters , both used in 1969 only , one early year and one late year , yours is the late version . The seat should be the orange with white S and stripes krate seat . Like this one ;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Sc...855?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item566479693f
Also your bike's paint looks to be at least a 8 out of a 10 scale , way to nice to repaint , they are only original once !!
Lee :cool:

Put it on eBay ...

No reserve & wipe it down with a wet towel - leave it as is & you would be surprised of what it might get - not my kind of bike - but there is value there from those that collect ... or you can put a reserve on it to cover your purchase price that way you will at least break even on it ... good luck on the sale ..

Don't touch the bike. Leave it alone. I would even be interested in buying it. I once had an orange krate and regret selling it.

Back