Ordinary Sizing Help

This ad disappears when logged in

Ed Minas

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jun 25, 2016
Farmington, United States
I am desiring to own an Ordinary (high wheel) and would like some sizing help. I am 5’9” and have 30” inseam. Should I be looking for a 50” or a 52” machine? As always thanks for your help.

TR6SC

I live for the CABE
Jun 12, 2016
Eureka, CA
I am desiring to own an Ordinary (high wheel) and would like some sizing help. I am 5’9” and have 30” inseam. Should I be looking for a 50” or a 52” machine? As always thanks for your help.
Hey Ed, the center of the wheel is 25" plus 5" to the pedal on the downstroke. That's 30". Plus more distance to the seat. Go for the 50" wheel.
But then again, inseam is to the cuff, not the bottom of the foot. Best to ride a couple bikes first.

Blue Streak

Nov 4, 2015
Erie PA
I am 6'-1" with leg length of 34" to the floor and ride 54"-56" wheel. There is some pedal adjustment on the crank arms. Agree that it would be best to try a couple different sizes before buying one. Will also depend on the handle bar shape - straight or cow horn.

From 1891 Columbia catalog:
1891 Catalog Wheel sizes.JPG

From page 2:
1891 Catalog how to measure leg.JPG

Ed Minas

Jun 25, 2016
Ed, If you are able to, come to Oberlin college Ohio July 25-29 for the Wheelmen national meet. You will find many helpful people there.
Thanks to all who responded. Craig and I am registered and am very much looking forward to it.

Ed Minas

Jun 25, 2016
I have a 54 inch Victor , Inrode across America , inam 30 inch inseam , , just make the seat leather longer , I have 2 50 inch victors
Wow I am serious impressed. Do you prefer the 54 over the 50s? I have been considering a Victor.

Ed Minas

Jun 25, 2016
I am 6'-1" with leg length of 34" to the floor and ride 54"-56" wheel. There is some pedal adjustment on the crank arms. Agree that it would be best to try a couple different sizes before buying one. Will also depend on the handle bar shape - straight or cow horn.

From 1891 Columbia catalog:
View attachment 792326

From page 2:
View attachment 792325
Thank you Blue Streak the chart and information is very helpful.

willswares1220

I live for the CABE
Dec 18, 2011
Port Washington, WI
I'm 5' 8" with an inseam of 30 inches and ride a 51 inch light Roadster with mustache handlebars that have knee clearance. I actually should ride a (53 - 54 inch)
I also have a 56 inch Expert that I can ride as long as the pedals are adjusted accordingly in the pedal arm slots. The long hammock saddle is also adjusted closer to the backbone so I can reach those pedals!! :D

TR6SC

I live for the CABE
Jun 12, 2016
Eureka, CA
When fitting one's self to a high wheel bike, the pedals should be all the way extended in the slotted cranks. These slots are for length of crank arm adjustment to give advantage while riding up hills or when on the flatlands. They are not for sizing the rider to the bike. A properly sized wheel will have the rider near full extension of the leg with a bit of toe point. One shouldn't be stretching to reach the downstroke, nor sliding left and right across the seat. These are what one does while riding a bike that's too big. While bigger wheels are faster since they are more highly geared, they are also harder to pedal up hills. As far as bar style goes, this is a choice for whether you sit upright or hunched over. The size of the wheel and type of seat are most important to a proper fit. Enjoy the Wheelman's Meet!

pelletman

I live for the CABE
Mar 15, 2008
Massachusetts, United States
You need to try some bikes, you can't just say "what size wheel" there are other factors, saddle, bars, cranks, etc. I have ridden 56's that are small, just right, and a bit too big. That is of the SAME model bike.

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture