When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ordinary Sizing Help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Ed Minas

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I am desiring to own an Ordinary (high wheel) and would like some sizing help. I am 5’9” and have 30” inseam. Should I be looking for a 50” or a 52” machine? As always thanks for your help.

I am desiring to own an Ordinary (high wheel) and would like some sizing help. I am 5’9” and have 30” inseam. Should I be looking for a 50” or a 52” machine? As always thanks for your help.
Hey Ed, the center of the wheel is 25" plus 5" to the pedal on the downstroke. That's 30". Plus more distance to the seat. Go for the 50" wheel.
But then again, inseam is to the cuff, not the bottom of the foot. Best to ride a couple bikes first.

I am 6'-1" with leg length of 34" to the floor and ride 54"-56" wheel. There is some pedal adjustment on the crank arms. Agree that it would be best to try a couple different sizes before buying one. Will also depend on the handle bar shape - straight or cow horn.

From 1891 Columbia catalog:
1891 Catalog Wheel sizes.JPG

From page 2:
1891 Catalog how to measure leg.JPG

Ed, If you are able to, come to Oberlin college Ohio July 25-29 for the Wheelmen national meet. You will find many helpful people there.

Thanks to all who responded. Craig and I am registered and am very much looking forward to it.

I have a 54 inch Victor , Inrode across America , inam 30 inch inseam , , just make the seat leather longer , I have 2 50 inch victors
Wow I am serious impressed. Do you prefer the 54 over the 50s? I have been considering a Victor.

I am 6'-1" with leg length of 34" to the floor and ride 54"-56" wheel. There is some pedal adjustment on the crank arms. Agree that it would be best to try a couple different sizes before buying one. Will also depend on the handle bar shape - straight or cow horn.

From 1891 Columbia catalog:
View attachment 792326

From page 2:
View attachment 792325

Thank you Blue Streak the chart and information is very helpful.

I'm 5' 8" with an inseam of 30 inches and ride a 51 inch light Roadster with mustache handlebars that have knee clearance. I actually should ride a (53 - 54 inch)
I also have a 56 inch Expert that I can ride as long as the pedals are adjusted accordingly in the pedal arm slots. The long hammock saddle is also adjusted closer to the backbone so I can reach those pedals!! :D

Back