When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original 1942 WWII Columbia VG 295 , in OD Paint

-
Hi All,

Recently coming across these advertisments, I thought I'd put them here for reference. Apparently from 1943.

1657281549444.png

1657281629264.png

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi All,

Recently coming across these advertisments, I thought I'd put them here for reference. Apparently from 1943.

View attachment 1658585

View attachment 1658586

Best Regards,

Adrian
Wow! Thanks Adrian. I note the "...we'll help you determine if you're eligible for..." and the "sold with certificate" verbiage on the ads. I remember my dad saying that he used what he called a "transportation ration coupon" as authorization to buy his Columbia VG295 Sports Tourist in May of '42. I also find interesting the prices: $33.50 and $27.95. I guess marketing folks have been running the 95 and 99 cent scam for quite a while. Also, I think we forget in our current world of vast overproduction how much things used to cost. I know my father was earning $35/week during The War and he said that was considered "good money." Imagine a base model bicycle costing a professional's weekly wage today. We wouldn't expect to buy a cheap bike at Wal Mart for more than, say $200. So it's safe to say that bikes cost during The War about 10 times what they do today.

Back