When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original and Restored Schwinns

-
Strange how impressions you get as a kid stick with you. Back in the late '60's Schwinn was THE bike, and everything else was what you got if you couldn't get a Schwinn. I hadn't had a bike since I was a kid, but when they put in a greenway near where I work I started looking around for something to ride, and of course I found an old Schwinn (1973 yellow Speedster 3-speed). And then another. And another. I've learned to appreciate some of the other makes, but I still have more Schwinns than anything else.

I know that you slap-happy fellows like to look at plain Schwinn examples but I like to be on the edge of good taste and what is physically possible with Schwinns. The Trotifier I made to replicate the horse hoof sounds made in the The Holy Grail movie. Many thanks to Jim Owen who used to work at Schwinn. Jim's first model (black) is shown. You can see the rise and drop cam behind the string.
The roller-skate bike has a carrot and a whip (stick) to make the skate go faster. The heavy duty is a cheap Schwinn to change. Please note that the bike was changed from Steam Punk to Disney by cutting cable ties. It turns well with slightly wider arks and a child can ride it because of an almost 1 to 1 sprocket ratio. Wood burning is another one of my hobbies.

36C50873-439C-4C0B-AF5C-2365D77D3977.jpeg

Last edited:
Back