When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Military Bicycle Photographs

-
Hi @DaGasMan

I suspect the rre-enactor line is a bit toungue in cheek (-:.

I used to be one, and honestly, it was things like petty arguments over wether flex bale M1 helmets could have been worn on DDay that made me move on.

Anyway, Monk shoes of this style were acceptable "Commercial Pattern" private purchase items for US officers.

The US Army Officers Guide of 1941 page 148 specifies Foot Gear:

The adopted shade of all leather in clothing and articles of equipment except as noted is known as "Army Russet" (par 27 AR 600-40)

Shoes Commercial pattern, High or low, Army russet leather, Low shoes may be worn with plain tan or brown socks.

Which leaves plenty of leeway, especially for more senior officers (-:

1651321134612.png

Illustrated is a pair made in Northampton, UK during WW2 for US Forces. Museum link here: https://www.northamptonmuseums.com/directory-record/150/

I have a similar original Clarks of Northampton made pair from the period, though not marked military in any way.

I can't quite get the magnification to check the insignia, but, from experience, the epaulette insignia seems to be rank and Distinctive Unit Insignia, then Branch and US on the collars.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Thank you Adrian. As always you are most succinct in your analysis.
I believe this may be the photo you wanted to use to illustrate the
officer's foot wear. I'd say it's a match, or at least pretty darn close.

And, yes I too have been a WW2 re-enactor since my teens back in
the '80s when it was all new and oh boy the discussions about what
was absolutely correct vs. "thanks for showing up" was intense.

1651331030969.png

I couldn't help but re post this from one of my earlier posts I did years ago as it shows the extent of ground fire power development used on a two wheeled vehicle.
Talking German two wheeled vehicles, here's where the term "Street Sweeper" probably came from! Notice the machine guns that covered the sides and the cannon at the front of this ominous force.
How this armored two wheeler could even balance and steer with those flat tractor tread tires is beyond me. Maybe there were retractable balancing posts underneath it when it slowed down or stopped but who knows.The driver must have been good at steering since if this thing fell on it's side, it was a sitting duck.
Had to have been hot and smelly in that thing with the top hatch closed as you can see the air cooled two-cycle or diesel powered engine smoke coming out the back.
I don't know if it held more than one soldier (maybe driver and gunner?) but if so, they must have felt like sardines. Hot sardines!
One thing that is for sure, if you were the enemy hiding out in a town and you saw this thing coming, you better book-it outta there fast!
Mike Cates, CA.

German Machine Gun Bicycle.jpg

Last edited:
twice in my life I had the opportunity to buy folding paratrooper bicycles from WWII. I didn't have the sense to buy either at the time, (I was young) one was a British BSA and the other was an American-made one.

I couldn't help but re post this from one of my earlier posts I did years ago as it shows the extent of ground fire power development used on a two wheeled vehicle.
Talking German two wheeled vehicles, here's where the term "Street Sweeper" probably came from! Notice the machine guns that covered the sides and the cannon at the front of this ominous force.
How this armored two wheeler could even balance and steer with those flat tractor tread tires is beyond me. Maybe there were retractable balancing posts underneath it when it slowed down or stopped but who knows.The driver must have been good at steering since if this thing fell on it's side, it was a sitting duck.
Had to have been hot and smelly in that thing with the top hatch closed as you can see the air cooled two-cycle or diesel powered engine smoke coming out the back.
I don't know if it held more than one soldier (maybe driver and gunner?) but if so, they must have felt like sardines. Hot sardines!
One thing that is for sure, if you were the enemy hiding out in a town and you saw this thing coming, you better book-it outta there fast!
Mike Cates, CA.

View attachment 1960987
Look out Newville, PA and the GWA! This is a game changer for the Imperial Germans! Krieg! 😂
These would sell like hot cakes at the Tractor Store! Yes! I'm in for one of these. Der Kinder Panzer!
1703861859381.png

Back