When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Military Bicycle Photographs

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The bicycles are British made and locally procured, most likely Phillips brand

Here's another photo showing US Army WACs in Britain with similar British made bikes

PhillipsBikes&WACs.jpg

This one has a different seat than I was expecting to see...
Yes, now I don't feel so bad about mine....well he knew how to fix a flat so I guess changing the saddle wasn't hard.....also if you look, I think there's what appears to be an extra 'wingnut' on the steertube or headset? Curiouser and curiouser!?

Hi,

I like the idea of gathering the photos in one place, but it would be useful to note (if possible) where they come from, partly as an aknowledgement of the work or money someone else put into obtaining them, and also to allow further reseach if required.

The BSA parabike picture is quite well known, and is captioned

Canadian Army Pvt. R.O. Potter of The Highland Light Infantry of Canada repairs a flat tire on his bicycle in Normandy, France, on June 20, 1944.

1644998167890.png

It looks like the saddle doesn't fit well, and the 'extra nut' appears to be part of a strap attached around the saddle frame and bicycle frame to stop it tipping backwards when sitting on it.

In view of the date, possibly he's swapped out the unsprung saddle for a sprung one. Possibly civillian, possibly a German Truppenfahhrad.

1644998545340.png

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi,

I like the idea of gathering the photos in one place, but it would be useful to note (if possible) where they come from, partly as an aknowledgement of the work or money someone else put into obtaining them, and also to allow further reseach if required.

Best Regards,

Adrian
As someone who collects photos, catalogs, magazines etc. and sometimes posts them online, I appreciate your comment. Too many people on this site take photos off the web and share them here without permission or giving credit.

Hi @ditchpig

No admominshment made, therefore no apology necessary. I'm sorry if it came across like that.

it was not meant to be a dig at you in the slightest, and I'm quite upset if you thought it was. It was just an attempt to make the thread more usable, with references and acknowledgements when possible.

Sincerely Yours,

Adrian

Back