When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original paint?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

cyclesmithc

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I picked up this Ladies Elgin at Hershey this week. I am curious to see if people think the paint is original or not. If it was repainted, it was done fairly well, and a long time ago. The side wheel cover and chain guide are riveted, No holes for a head badge, pretty sure that's a Schwinn rack? Thanks in advance
IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG
IMG_0032.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG

Murray built frame. If that lettering on the bottom bracket is MOD, would make it a 39. Curious that it appears red under the bottom bracket but no where else. I have seen a frame like this for sale, only a men’s, with a similar paint scheme. It also had no head badge holes, but had Elgin painted on. I believe, but am not certain, that was a war time thing. You could pull the fork or the crankset to look for the original paint color. Figuring out some of the mystery is part of the fun, l think. I have always liked bikes with a curved seat tube. Have that Art Deco feel.

Nice bike! There is a lot of potential there...very nice lines, skirt guard, and a great saddle...

good advice, thanks. If it was repainted, whoever did it removed the crank bearing cups and steering cups. No holes for the head badge threw me as well. I thought maybe a private label/ hardware store offering maybe

The "SE" stamp might make it a 1940 Sears bike.
The "D" in "MOD 502" does not usually count as a date code; (otherwise there would be a lot of them).
Some of these bikes had a shroud around the head tube which could explain missing badge holes, (unless they were filled-in and painted over).
Notice the special kick stand that straddles the rear fork, in addition to the ears on the frame (for a drop stand); it is likely original.

Last edited:
Back