When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our own worst enemy?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
From a supply standpoint, the number of incomplete bicycles generally exceeds the number of good spare parts available today. The degree to which this is true depends on the part, type of bike, etc. You're correct that some of these parts, like some of the frame tanks, are very expensive because the supply of good, original spares is so small now. Buying something scarce a la carte gets expensive.

I'm not cynical about much because I got past my preconceived notions about bicycle projects. At one time, many years ago, I was dead-set on total originality and period correctness. The more old bikes I worked with, the more I became of the opinion that each bike is just an individual case. Sometimes a wooden tank is totally fine and it works great, and sometimes the bike warrants the big bucks for an original. Sometimes having more gears and aluminum rims is what you want, and sometimes original steel works best for the project. There aren't very many "hard and fast" rules in my book any more. There are a few for something that of extraordinary historical significance, but I don't own very much in that category anyway. Each bike is an individual case, and I don't make any final decisions until I see what I have and get a feel for the project as a whole. My grandfather's heirloom ballooner might get different treatment than a basic, commuter 3-speed might get, for example. So I don't stress too much anymore, I guess. I look at the bike on the stand and start envisioning what I do or do not think works best for each.

Lol Ive had a few old guys that lived and rode these bikes back in the day and they all told me the same thing we took all that stuff off...fenders, tanks, racks etc.....to make it like a stripped down hotrod
That's EXACTLY what they did. The local neighborhood guys would then race in circles at the elementary school playground on Saturday and put the inside foot down to pretend to drift. Scary to me, but I was about 5 years younger. Then one of the older neighbor boys threw me a bone of an old 1930's balloon tire frame and fork and told me I could now build it into a ROD. Brush painted red barn paint, I think. I STILL have it!

Ok my apologies I'll use your word "cynical" to validate your experience despite your claim otherwise to which I submit:
1. "unless I just "have to have" something expensive that doesn't add value, regardless of how good the build is"--not true especially in the case of a tank-Aerocycle without tank about $2500 tops. With tank $8500 and up so if I spent $5k for a tank I've still got meat on the bone. I could list other examples but you get the point
2. "Even original patina bikes value doesn't match their parts market value." Again, not always true. I don't think I could part my original paint Flying Merkel for what I could get whole.
3. "Looking for the next sucker to come along and pay high bucks for a tank..." Almost the very definition of cynicism

Your post was loaded so I was discussing the topic at hand which is your views of buying parts which you obviously want but think are overpriced. Still friends? V/r Shawn
Yes still friends. I hope so.
I believe we can have a difference of opinion and still be civil and friends.
I, to clarify further, was lamenting the dismantling of these bicycles, for one.
Like others have stated above, I know it's just the way it is and we (I) have to accept that.
I'm just having my moment of reckoning with it and thought I'd bring it to the group for further insight.

I apologize if I seem strong but I was just feeling it this morning.
Thanks for understanding.

Yes still friends. I hope so.
I believe we can have a difference of opinion and still be civil and friends.
I, to clarify further, was lamenting the dismantling of these bicycles, for one.
Like others have stated above, I know it's just the way it is and we (I) have to accept that.
I'm just having my moment of reckoning with it and thought I'd bring it to the group for further insight.

I apologize if I seem strong but I was just feeling it this morning.
Thanks for understanding.
I certainly share your lamenting. I bought this Blackout New World frame, fork and fenders on Ebay, thinking the fenders would be right for my 40 Superior I gave very little, like $50. I decided to make it back into a bike and realize the seller had sold all the blackout parts for about $80. WTF? I'd have given more for the whole thing intact. Worst part is it is a BFG or possibly other badged Schwinn New world, because the badge holes are wide spaced. I guess that means I have a lot bigger range of badges to choose from! Not necessarily trying for all original parts, Probably Blackout crank and sprocket, probably ND coaster brake, but modern rims might be easier/ better riding. Maybe it will be my "ROD" at age 71?

Jaded?- After reading it twice and being just a 3rd party looking inward the used word "jaded" was an excellent choice of a defining word.
I did ask for views but I was thinking about on the subject.- You received a member's point of view, yes you sure did. Did you have an expectation of a Vulcan Mind Read as how would anyone know what your thinking?
I assumed we could talk about things without invalidating one another's
experiences.- Now that sounds right out of the play book of a AA meeting, sorry. This really isnt a rough and tumble group but your going to need thicker skin when your asking a group of experienced collectors something they probably know a lot of.
I guess it pays to know your audience.- And you didn't, use it as a positive lesson learned. If you don't like "the audience" you then have a couple of easy-peezy choices to make; 1) don't ask questions that you may not like the answers to, or 2) feel free to leave the group because there just may be a member or two that honestly doesn't have a care in the world about your "validated experiences"... not in the least. Sometimes people just aren't a good fit.

Be nice, play nice. G'day.

Last edited:
I’ve found the easiest way to avoid hunting expensive parts is to just buy a complete bike. I have a couple bikes I’ve done the hard way and have about double what they’re worth into them. A couple years ago I paid $1300 for a Schwinn motorbike tank and thought that was crazy-a bargain in today’s world! Project bikes are rarely bargains. V/r Shawn

Not many hobbies out there that have any return on investment. The fact that in the hobby of “buying cool old stuff” you get something back when you decide to sell. Everyone has stuff they got smoking deals on, broke even on and will probably take a loss cause they had to have it. Once it totally becomes dollars and cents it’s not a hobby more a business. Which is ok too. Nobody wants to be upside down. Hey It could always be worse..the poor girl that cashed me out at the grocery store yesterday..her parents named her Alexa.. pretty name 25 years ago..till technology stole it lol.

Call it cynical but I call being honest and real about the current situation.

I'd like to hear your views about this.
Websters' definition:
cyn-ic \ n 2 : a faultfinding captious critic: esp : one who believes that human conduct is motivated wholly by self-interest --cynic adj

Human conduct is very predictable, and for the most part self-interested. There is no chance everyone is or can be virtuous as the Greek philosophers maintained was the only good and that its' essence lied in self-control and independence.

Don't you just love the English language? I am very cynical about most everything I read and see, simply because I am older, but everything bike related reduces my cynical tendencies and lowers my temperature, particularly when I am astride one of my old bikes...:rolleyes:

Back