When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Over Lock Nut Dimensions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have seen 2 different Bendix model K hubs. One has the standard/normal threaded axle with thread on cones not sure if it has lock nuts. The ones I have on CT's kind of remind me of a full floating axle. They have a tube/pipe inside that the cones thread onto. The tube/pipe doesn't protrude through the cone so no lock nuts. The axle slides through it with no effect to the adjustment. I think this is the one referred to as the knock out axle, but unsure of its proper name.

Anyway, the floating one is 3.75"+- cone to cone or 95.25mm
That's correct, there's two different versions of the Model K hubs using the same hub shell. The "pipe" you talk about was called a quill, and it requires cones with a larger thread. The cones come in two different lengths. You bottom one out against a shoulder on the quill, and then adjust the other. The O.L.D. is the same on both style hubs. They also made a "wide version" of the hub for Sulkey's. Schwinn used the term Knock Out for their hubs with removeable, replaceable hub cups. The Bendix hubs were not knock out style.

John

Schwinn built the Twinn Tandem frames to the wider width "distance over lock nut" to accept the Bendix Automatic two speeds. You will see "an extra axle nut" used as a spacer nut under the left side of the wheel. This makes the normal coaster brakes the same width as the wider two speeds. You will also notice the coaster brake tandems used a special brake arm with an extra bend it to align with the frame brake strap. Just some hub width trivia.

John

That's correct, there's two different versions of the Model K hubs using the same hub shell. The "pipe" you talk about was called a quill, and it requires cones with a larger thread. The cones come in two different lengths. You bottom one out against a shoulder on the quill, and then adjust the other. The O.L.D. is the same on both style hubs. They also made a "wide version" of the hub for Sulkey's. Schwinn used the term Knock Out for their hubs with removeable, replaceable hub cups. The Bendix hubs were not knock out style.

John

Not saying it is the proper name but, you will see "K" hubs listed for sale with "knock out axle".
This thread is a little older but I now have the third "K" hub. I had no idea what it was for, its about an inch wider.

Schwinn built the Twinn Tandem frames to the wider width "distance over lock nut" to accept the Bendix Automatic two speeds. You will see "an extra axle nut" used as a spacer nut under the left side of the wheel. This makes the normal coaster brakes the same width as the wider two speeds. You will also notice the coaster brake tandems used a special brake arm with an extra bend it to align with the frame brake strap. Just some hub width trivia.

John

I've built a few of the hubs with the offset arm but never saw one on a Schwinn, just other brands.

Back