When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Over Lock Nut Dimensions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Greg Kozak

Finally riding a big boys bike
Are the over locknut dimensions for prewar and postwar bikes the same ?
And what would those dimensions be ?
Thanks.

For 26" ballooner, my examples are 2 postwar front wheel S2 hubs, both o.l.d. 90mm. My prewar balloon are non-schwinn and do not have lock nuts so "o.l.d." is less. But i can interchange by adding washers as needed.

PCHiggin
1651261275183.png

This subject doesn't seem to get much attention on the CABE.

Are the over locknut dimensions for prewar and postwar bikes the same ?
And what would those dimensions be ?
Thanks.

For 26" ballooner, my examples are 2 postwar front wheel S2 hubs, both o.l.d. 90mm. My prewar balloon are non-schwinn and do not have lock nuts so "o.l.d." is less. But i can interchange by adding washers as needed.

Is it less? How much less? I believe most old American front hubs back to the early balooner era are 91mm (or maybe 89mm?). This standard persisted into the early 90s(?) on cheaper bikes that were built to the old American dimensions (with 3 piece cranks, one inch threaded steerers, quill stems, and so on). I can't prove it and documentation doesn't seem to exist. If documentation did exist, it would be in inches of course, multiply inches by 25.4 to get mm.

Older hubs didn't always have locknuts, and were probably better off without in many cases. Some Postwar Schwinns might have had no locknuts just a locking clip on the right side cone. My guess is that the narrowest hubs you found might have had the locknuts removed(?). That was a pretty common thing for kids to do after the first time getting tossed over the handlebars.

For what it's worth, OLD didn't really crop up as a problem much when forks were fairly flexible like the Ashtabula ones used on many Schwinns. In the early BMX era when chrome moly tubular unicrown forks came around, front hub OLD could be anything and suddenly it was a problem. IIRC Campy and Shimano are 100mm, French hubs can be anything but the ones that turn up the the US seem to be 97mm. Japanese BMX (nutted) hubs (Sunshine, Sanshin, Suntour, SR Sakae, Suzue, etc.) were all over the map, although most of the ones from that era that turn up today seem to be 93mm. Track hub standard for the front is 100mm, even on Japanese NJS bike frames with their extra-narrow rear forks. I have seen it posted elsewhere on the Internet that 90mm was an earlier Japanese track standard. I have yet to see a hub that backs that up.

What you just read above probably has mistakes. If anyone can clarify what the "standards" are, I am interested too.

Are the Bendix Model K front hubs 90mm ?
I'm looking for one for a prewar cycle truck.

I have seen 2 different Bendix model K hubs. One has the standard/normal threaded axle with thread on cones not sure if it has lock nuts. The ones I have on CT's kind of remind me of a full floating axle. They have a tube/pipe inside that the cones thread onto. The tube/pipe doesn't protrude through the cone so no lock nuts. The axle slides through it with no effect to the adjustment. I think this is the one referred to as the knock out axle, but unsure of its proper name.

Anyway, the floating one is 3.75"+- cone to cone or 95.25mm

Back