When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overcoming dull Schwinn chrome

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Schwinn chrome usually has an amazing comeback rate. Just a guess, but bike plating from 1950 to around midyear 1953 probably were subpar due to the Korean war. Seen handlebars and rims with funky "chrome-like" plating that wasn't. Being a 54 could have been a victim of war process before things got back to normal.

Cloth buff wheel and a cutting compound. It worked on some Schwinn rims but don’t know if you can ever get them back to a mirror finish?
I second this. You can get them to a polished finish with enough time - heck, you can get raw steel to a near-nickel finish with a good bit of time - just be careful to not burn through the plating. If you use a polishing wheel on an angle grinder, this can happen really fast, and I do not recommend without experience.

Note that with a bench polishing wheel, burning through the plating on something like that won’t happen easily, but you should get a feel for just how much that takes, first. I recommend the underside of handlebars, where there is usually a good bit of rust and if you screw up it won’t show.

Some other parts, like the base of a Delta Silveray, it is easy to burn through the plating. Guess how I know?

Short version: Bench polishing wheel is great, angle grinder is fast but dangerous; test first.

Back