Overweight middleweights

Discussion in 'Middleweight Bicycles' started by Honestherman, Mar 16, 2015.

1. #1 Posted Mar 16, 2015

Finally riding a big boys bike

This thread and the term Middleweight got me thinking.

There are a few sites and posts where overweight people are adjusting the bike to hold them.
    Most list their weight from 240 to 340 lbs
    Changing to
    Heavy Duty Seat Posts
    Heavy Duty Wheels
    Heavy Duty Cranks
    because the bikes break down with the extra weight.

I am not convinced that any stock bike was never designed to take very heavy weight. Is there any weight capacity listed for bikes
    Schwinn Krate Bikes
    Middleweight BIkes
    Balloon Bikes

I am sure others are curious too

#1 Honestherman, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  2. #2 Posted Mar 16, 2015

I would have to agree with you. Back in the 50's and 60's when middleweight bikes were the norm, the weight of the average American male adult was probably around 165-185 lbs. People over 200 lbs were an anomaly, and I doubt very much if bike designers were thinking of today's 'heavyweights' when they building bikes.

CrazyDave likes this.
  3. #3 Posted Mar 16, 2015

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe

Another here in agreement. Something that really cracks me up is the structural engineers today design two story homes that end up being complete nightmares for the warranty service department. The floors bounce when a 150 lb person is walking across the room. I thought I was going to be beat to death by the fat ladies when I told them there is nothing I can do to keep the TV's on their dressers from rocking or the bottles in their Bedroom fridge from clanking when they walked across the room.

#3 GTs58, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    Nashman, Oilit, Kstone and 2 others like this.
  4. #4 Posted Mar 16, 2015

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!

I am not a light weight but have never had a bike break from my weight.Middleweights can take some really heavy weight.

farkasthegoalie and CrazyDave like this.
  5. #5 Posted Mar 16, 2015

Wore out three sets of tires already!

Standard spoke Wal Mart bikes are rated to 175lbs.
    Bike Shop Bikes (brand Name) 225-240.
    However you'll notice Kmart, & Wal Mart have started using Heavy duty
    spokes on their Cruiser bikes in response to warranty issues.
    I'd guess a standard spoke Schwinn would easily accommodate a rider to 250+
    Wheels and pedals being the weakest points.
    I've had several HEAVY people break the seats on the newer cheap bikes; 1 with very bad results.

Kstone and CrazyDave like this.
  6. #6 Posted Mar 17, 2015

Look Ma, No Hands!

????

What.

7. #7 Posted Mar 17, 2015

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe

dose of reality,the "collector"bikes of the 50s were designed fo kids not adults,the frames etc are physically small for an adult,one of the reasons,felt and some of the other bikes are more adult user friendy,most "older" ppl cant ride an 80 lb 50s crusier very far comfortably,and the weight diff between a middle and ballooner isnt much!!!!!!!

bikecrazy and fordmike65 like this.
  8. #8 Posted Mar 17, 2015

I've always been thin, no matter what I did for exercise or what I ate. I take after my granny I think. Everyone else in school was able to gain weight or muscle mass but I got zilch. If I wasn't 6ft 3 I'd pass as a kid. I weigh around 170-180.

What really cracks me up though is when I see these old, fat, bald guys riding a 20" muscle bike. I was unable to ride a 20" bike since about my freshman or sophomore year of high school and that's a bit of a stretch (sorry for the pun). At some point, nostalgia for reliving childhood starts to look ridiculous.

I bought a 24" Spyder last summer because the frame design and the bars give me plenty of room. It's the only muscle bike that I can ride.

Nashman likes this.
  9. #9 Posted Mar 17, 2015

Reproduction Phantoms may have a weakness problem.I know of two adults that ride road bikes try the Phantoms.Both had seat and broken pedal problems.

CrazyDave likes this.
  10. #10 Posted Mar 17, 2015

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

@ 220 lbs +/- I've never had any issues, although for all the time & money that goes into old bikes to render them enjoyably usable again, I'm ever aware of my actions. I destroyed these very same bikes by the dozen when I was a kid, however. I still contend the materials/workmanship of our past standard American made bikes designed for the lighter weight/ youngsters was far and away superior to the offshore crap designed for the run of the mill overweight SNAP program beneficiaries, they're marketed towards nowadays.

Nashman likes this.
  11. #11 Posted Mar 17, 2015

I live for the CABE

Same thing here! Never could gain weight, coming in at 130s lbs now. Luckily though I am 5'10.5 so I can easily fit on bikes like 20inch typhoons all the way up to the large oversized frames of 70s road bikes. Couldn't fit on the 16inch Pixie I just put up for sale and very disappointed in the matter.

Kstone likes this.
  12. #12 Posted Mar 18, 2015

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

Pedals these days are cheaper than alibis. The classic Schwinn middleweight frame is exceptionally strong and it fits me well at 5' 8"...after 20 years (100th anniversary Classic Cruiser) the frame is fine.

At 250 lbs it still isn't as much my weight as the fact that there are several places on the way out of town where the sidewalks have asphalt joints every so often where the walk would usually heave before. These have all risen some and it's like speed bumps every 20-40 feet.

In the winter people in wheelchairs end up on a slick 5-lane if they want to go past the mall as they just leave the shoveled snow plied high on it with the exception of around the car dealers. Now you know for sure why I don't like SW 4th Avenue, we have the traffic of a city of 40,000 in a town of 9,000 and that goes for the entire stretch of 5 miles into Idaho.

13. #13 Posted Mar 18, 2015

I was thinking it would be better to label them with a specific badge instead of naming a company that sells bikes. I see several brands sold in Wal Mart, Several Brands that are sold in Bike Shops. 250 plus seems like a lot on a Schwinn bike. But I see them sold at Target. Would that fit into the 175 range or the 250 range? Do you see what I am saying?

14. #14 Posted May 16, 2016

I support the Mom & Pop independent bike shops. We have Schaffers in Lewes, Delaware. Been in business for over 65 years.

partsguy likes this.
  15. #15 Posted May 21, 2016

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

I remember seeing a picture of twins and these guys had to go 350 lbs. each riding clown bikes 12" high and they did not look modified. (The bikes not the twins)

Kstone and CrazyDave like this.
  16. #16 Posted May 21, 2016

I live for the CABE

I weigh 150 pounds and I'm 60 years old. I have 2 balloon and 4 middleweight bikes. All are easy to ride except the 85 pound Color Flow. That one is my downhill bike.
    From what I've read here, and heard from others, I conclude the following:

Kids in the 50's we're all built like Mr. Universe.
    Walmart bikes will break in half the first time you ride it, no matter what your weight.
    Chinese/Walmart bikes , unlike the Chevy Corvair, truly are Unsafe at any Speed.

17. #17 Posted May 21, 2016

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

I don't think the brand or frame has anything to do with this...Pedals, seat, rims will give up before the frame. How many fat people have collapsed a frame? (That would be hilarious to watch however) Some folks get by with lighter duty stuff on the same trails/applications from being smoother riders and thus easier on the bike. Maybe real fatties should look into downhill mountain biking parts?

Kstone and Intense One like this.
  18. #18 Posted May 21, 2016

I live for the CABE

I'm 5'7 and 130. I can ride anything, but I break pedals and tweak rims because I beat the crap out of my bikes. I love jumping 70 year old bikes off driveway lumps.

I recently built a 90's schwinn heavy-duti for a really fat guy. 6'6 and 400lbs.

Had worksman 11g wheels, a solid rod seatpost, and some heavy duty lookin' pedals from an old exercise bike.

He told me he folded a walmart schwinn in half. I guaranteed him that if any part of my bike failed, I'd replace it.

Never came back, so either the bike is still holding up, or he had a heart attack.

Nashman, bikecrazy, jmastuff and 5 others like this.
  19. #19 Posted Jun 3, 2016

Wore out three sets of tires already!

image.jpeg I just skip breakfast before I ride mine

Scribble, Nashman, jmastuff and 2 others like this.
  20. #20 Posted Jun 3, 2016

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

It's not the FRAME, it's the rear wheel I can't keep straight and I'm looking into alternatives for my 1995 Schwinn Cruiser SS. The front is okay.

Meanwhile my Rollfast middleweight (Tempest) has kind of V-shaped rims and has few problems being loaded like a mule.