When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overweight middleweights

-

Honestherman

Finally riding a big boys bike
This thread and the term Middleweight got me thinking.

There are a few sites and posts where overweight people are adjusting the bike to hold them.
Most list their weight from 240 to 340 lbs
Changing to
Heavy Duty Seat Posts
Heavy Duty Wheels
Heavy Duty Cranks
because the bikes break down with the extra weight.

I am not convinced that any stock bike was never designed to take very heavy weight. Is there any weight capacity listed for bikes
Schwinn Krate Bikes
Middleweight BIkes
Balloon Bikes

I am sure others are curious too

Last edited:
I am not convinced that any stock bike was ever designed to take very heavy weight.

I would have to agree with you. Back in the 50's and 60's when middleweight bikes were the norm, the weight of the average American male adult was probably around 165-185 lbs. People over 200 lbs were an anomaly, and I doubt very much if bike designers were thinking of today's 'heavyweights' when they building bikes.

I would have to agree with you. Back in the 50's and 60's when middleweight bikes were the norm, the weight of the average American male adult was probably around 165-185 lbs. People over 200 lbs were an anomaly, and I doubt very much if bike designers were thinking of today's 'heavyweights' when they building bikes.

Another here in agreement. Something that really cracks me up is the structural engineers today design two story homes that end up being complete nightmares for the warranty service department. The floors bounce when a 150 lb person is walking across the room. I thought I was going to be beat to death by the fat ladies when I told them there is nothing I can do to keep the TV's on their dressers from rocking or the bottles in their Bedroom fridge from clanking when they walked across the room.

Last edited:
Standard spoke Wal Mart bikes are rated to 175lbs.
Bike Shop Bikes (brand Name) 225-240.
However you'll notice Kmart, & Wal Mart have started using Heavy duty
spokes on their Cruiser bikes in response to warranty issues.
I'd guess a standard spoke Schwinn would easily accommodate a rider to 250+
Wheels and pedals being the weakest points.
I've had several HEAVY people break the seats on the newer cheap bikes; 1 with very bad results.

dose of reality,the "collector"bikes of the 50s were designed fo kids not adults,the frames etc are physically small for an adult,one of the reasons,felt and some of the other bikes are more adult user friendy,most "older" ppl cant ride an 80 lb 50s crusier very far comfortably,and the weight diff between a middle and ballooner isnt much!!!!!!!

I've always been thin, no matter what I did for exercise or what I ate. I take after my granny I think. Everyone else in school was able to gain weight or muscle mass but I got zilch. If I wasn't 6ft 3 I'd pass as a kid. I weigh around 170-180.

What really cracks me up though is when I see these old, fat, bald guys riding a 20" muscle bike. I was unable to ride a 20" bike since about my freshman or sophomore year of high school and that's a bit of a stretch (sorry for the pun). At some point, nostalgia for reliving childhood starts to look ridiculous.

I bought a 24" Spyder last summer because the frame design and the bars give me plenty of room. It's the only muscle bike that I can ride.

Reproduction Phantoms may have a weakness problem.I know of two adults that ride road bikes try the Phantoms.Both had seat and broken pedal problems.

@ 220 lbs +/- I've never had any issues, although for all the time & money that goes into old bikes to render them enjoyably usable again, I'm ever aware of my actions. I destroyed these very same bikes by the dozen when I was a kid, however. I still contend the materials/workmanship of our past standard American made bikes designed for the lighter weight/ youngsters was far and away superior to the offshore crap designed for the run of the mill overweight SNAP program beneficiaries, they're marketed towards nowadays.

Back