When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overweight middleweights

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I've always been thin, no matter what I did for exercise or what I ate. I take after my granny I think. Everyone else in school was able to gain weight or muscle mass but I got zilch. If I wasn't 6ft 3 I'd pass as a kid. I weigh around 170-180.

What really cracks me up though is when I see these old, fat, bald guys riding a 20" muscle bike. I was unable to ride a 20" bike since about my freshman or sophomore year of high school and that's a bit of a stretch (sorry for the pun). At some point, nostalgia for reliving childhood starts to look ridiculous.

I bought a 24" Spyder last summer because the frame design and the bars give me plenty of room. It's the only muscle bike that I can ride.

Same thing here! Never could gain weight, coming in at 130s lbs now. Luckily though I am 5'10.5 so I can easily fit on bikes like 20inch typhoons all the way up to the large oversized frames of 70s road bikes. Couldn't fit on the 16inch Pixie I just put up for sale and very disappointed in the matter.

Reproduction Phantoms may have a weakness problem.I know of two adults that ride road bikes try the Phantoms.Both had seat and broken pedal problems.

Pedals these days are cheaper than alibis. The classic Schwinn middleweight frame is exceptionally strong and it fits me well at 5' 8"...after 20 years (100th anniversary Classic Cruiser) the frame is fine.

At 250 lbs it still isn't as much my weight as the fact that there are several places on the way out of town where the sidewalks have asphalt joints every so often where the walk would usually heave before. These have all risen some and it's like speed bumps every 20-40 feet.

In the winter people in wheelchairs end up on a slick 5-lane if they want to go past the mall as they just leave the shoveled snow plied high on it with the exception of around the car dealers. Now you know for sure why I don't like SW 4th Avenue, we have the traffic of a city of 40,000 in a town of 9,000 and that goes for the entire stretch of 5 miles into Idaho.

I was thinking it would be better to label them with a specific badge instead of naming a company that sells bikes. I see several brands sold in Wal Mart, Several Brands that are sold in Bike Shops. 250 plus seems like a lot on a Schwinn bike. But I see them sold at Target. Would that fit into the 175 range or the 250 range? Do you see what I am saying?

Standard spoke Wal Mart bikes are rated to 175lbs.
Bike Shop Bikes (brand Name) 225-240.
However you'll notice Kmart, & Wal Mart have started using Heavy duty
spokes on their Cruiser bikes in response to warranty issues.
I'd guess a standard spoke Schwinn would easily accommodate a rider to 250+
Wheels and pedals being the weakest points.
I've had several HEAVY people break the seats on the newer cheap bikes; 1 with very bad results.

I support the Mom & Pop independent bike shops. We have Schaffers in Lewes, Delaware. Been in business for over 65 years.

I weigh 150 pounds and I'm 60 years old. I have 2 balloon and 4 middleweight bikes. All are easy to ride except the 85 pound Color Flow. That one is my downhill bike.
From what I've read here, and heard from others, I conclude the following:

Kids in the 50's we're all built like Mr. Universe.
Walmart bikes will break in half the first time you ride it, no matter what your weight.
Chinese/Walmart bikes , unlike the Chevy Corvair, truly are Unsafe at any Speed.

I was thinking it would be better to label them with a specific badge instead of naming a company that sells bikes. I see several brands sold in Wal Mart, Several Brands that are sold in Bike Shops. 250 plus seems like a lot on a Schwinn bike. But I see them sold at Target. Would that fit into the 175 range or the 250 range? Do you see what I am saying?
I don't think the brand or frame has anything to do with this...Pedals, seat, rims will give up before the frame. How many fat people have collapsed a frame? (That would be hilarious to watch however) Some folks get by with lighter duty stuff on the same trails/applications from being smoother riders and thus easier on the bike. Maybe real fatties should look into downhill mountain biking parts?

I'm 5'7 and 130. I can ride anything, but I break pedals and tweak rims because I beat the crap out of my bikes. I love jumping 70 year old bikes off driveway lumps.

I recently built a 90's schwinn heavy-duti for a really fat guy. 6'6 and 400lbs.

Had worksman 11g wheels, a solid rod seatpost, and some heavy duty lookin' pedals from an old exercise bike.

He told me he folded a walmart schwinn in half. I guaranteed him that if any part of my bike failed, I'd replace it.

Never came back, so either the bike is still holding up, or he had a heart attack.

image.jpeg
I just skip breakfast before I ride mine

Reproduction Phantoms may have a weakness problem.I know of two adults that ride road bikes try the Phantoms.Both had seat and broken pedal problems.

It's not the FRAME, it's the rear wheel I can't keep straight and I'm looking into alternatives for my 1995 Schwinn Cruiser SS. The front is okay.

Meanwhile my Rollfast middleweight (Tempest) has kind of V-shaped rims and has few problems being loaded like a mule.

Back