When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overweight middleweights

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If you check the advertisements for these bikes, they were marketing them almost exclusively to children. I more than suspect the designers didn't have 200++ pound, stinky, old, bearded bike collectors in mind, either.

0d2371ae82b3e23b4199ddf45714c4d3.jpg

If you check the advertisements for these bikes, they were marketing them almost exclusively to children. I more than suspect the designers didn't have 200++ pound, stinky, old, bearded bike collectors in mind, either.

I concur. Bicycling started out as a hobby for wealthy adults, and grew into transportation for kids in the 1940s, just after WWII. It was that way until the mid 1970s, when health and environmental effects began to enter people's minds.

Yeah, sure, some YOUNG adults bought 3-speed or 5-speed touring bikes, folding bikes, or an occasional cruiser. But most were marketed and bought by kids!

I did read a story on here thought, about a 80 year old man who sold his 1959 or 1960 Murray cruiser to a Pawn Shop, and a member here bought the bike and got the story from the pawn shop owner. The original owner would have had to be in his 20s when the bike was new.

I'm 6' 1" 240 lbs (I know fat) and have never had a problem with any of my bikes. Never broke a spoke. I like the advice earlier about riding style. I think that makes a difference.

[/QUOTE/]

The trouble is that 50+ years later, those children are old, stinky and 200+ pounds.

I AM FOR ONE READY TO RIDE ANY SIZED BIKE IF ONLY FOR A TEST RUN...SO IT IS THAT THE RIDER MUST USE COMMON SENSE BEFORE TRYING TO BREAK ANY SIZED BIKE...A CHILD IS SAFE IF HE RIDES CAREFULLY..AN ADULT IS NEVER GOING TO BE SAFE NO MATTER WHAT HIS OR HER WEIGHT IS INVOLVED IF.....THEY ARE NOT CAREFUL WITH THE BIKE AND THE USE IT WAS INTENDED FOR.......BREAKING A BICYCLE IS JUST A CASE OF POOR USE AND JUDGEMENT RATHER THAN CONSTRUCTION OF SAME....BE WISE...CHOOSE CAREFUHLLY BEFORE GOING DOWN THAT HILL OF OVER THAT JUMP THAT JUNIOR BUILT IN THE BACK YARD.....

Back