Oxalic acid bath before and afters

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

joel.romeo.79

Finally riding a big boys bike
Aug 19, 2014
Garland, United States
www.facebook.com
7f6c952cbbfe08f9491646c6a1c4aafd-1.jpg
f625e3b28f410d821c9a7309f4421d98-1.jpg
20104d7990d12ee801d723c64ad4c2fc-1.jpg
4baafbb29c6e775f3aac8624a858e931-1.jpg
0643e940164ae743b708b69f0173e393-1.jpg
bf9ae69bdfdaef2fe18523e5bad5f63f-1.jpg

When I accidentally post a photo of some progress on someone else's old Monark and my phone blows up while I am working because everyone he knows is suddenly trying to buy it before I put the rest of the parts I have for it on there to make it a complete rideable rust arrested bike. Any way i forgot to pull the headbadge on Kate Bluegrass Hardware and of course it turned pink. Any advice on what to put it in to take that garbage back off and leave the paint would be worth a lot to me. I am kind of pissed at a handful of asshats right now for all the distractions. You may save a life or two.

It wasn't me I swear.

joel.romeo.79

Finally riding a big boys bike
Aug 19, 2014
Garland, United States
www.facebook.com
42fc3c2c761ef982236a1075d9e4937d-1.jpg
bf4d0421b518903d28291d5931b450b2-1.jpg
6376c10f8d08180bd4175d6d5cf18a34-1.jpg
c247f3844c5a63bcca127a1ba82f876e-1.jpg

I am getting really good with this. I found a few hundred pages of bibliography and data charts on the use of organic acids. 2.5 ph and 150 degrees Fahrenheit works best from what i have read. Uv radiation accelerates the process as well

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Balloonoob
This ad goes away when you register for an account!

bricycle

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Nov 18, 2009
Chicago area west
I have tried it as a last resort on severely rusted items that you need to get apart... works well, but takes weeks, not hours like Oxalic acid.
also turns metal black.

SirMike1983

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jun 27, 2008
Inactive
When you look at each of these items, the common thread emerges- namely that you need a solid foundation of existing paint to get the sorts of results in the pictures. I love oxalic acid for large number of uses, but people should not get misled by the pictures- not everyone is going to get these same, good results. If your underlying paint is compromised by too much rust, you will see much more bare metal and paint loss. Use the oxalic acid with caution and check the part often when you're getting started.

bricycle

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Nov 18, 2009
Chicago area west
When you look at each of these items, the common thread emerges- namely that you need a solid foundation of existing paint to get the sorts of results in the pictures. I love oxalic acid for large number of uses, but people should not get misled by the pictures- not everyone is going to get these same, good results. If your underlying paint is compromised by too much rust, you will see much more bare metal and paint loss. Use the oxalic acid with caution and check the part often when you're getting started.
plus, not recommended on red paint I've heard.

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
May 4, 2014
Planet Mongo

Shawn Michael

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Oct 3, 2012
Keizer, OR
What needs to be done after an o.a. bath? Do you just rinse everything well or is a dressing needed afterwards like an oil or wax or clear finish? Thanks, Shawn

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
May 4, 2014
Planet Mongo
What needs to be done after an o.a. bath? Do you just rinse everything well or is a dressing needed afterwards like an oil or wax or clear finish? Thanks, Shawn
Very good question. I am sure we will get several answers. As I get side tracked easily when I read the word"dressing" I immediately thought of the stovetop dressing we ate the other night. Sure was good . Can't wait until Thanks Giving. .....Getting back to your question it would depend on just how rusty and how much original finish is left after the OX bath. On the rims I did the other day I just scrubbed them down with a wet rag [only water] afterwards there still was a residue on them and some road tar and what looked like some black spray paint over spray. I lightly rubbed them down with mineral oil and then used Macquire's paste cleaner wax and they look great. There are some areas that have no paint on them as the rust was so deep the paint is long gone. Just don't rub too hard ,especially on striping.:)
That worked for me, now lets hear from the other folks......

Rivnut

I live for the CABE
Nov 24, 2012
Shawnee, United States
I had a 55 gallon plastic barrel with 18 gallons of water and two gallons of molasses in it. I dipped lots of parts off my '64 Riviera in it. It worked really well but as mentioned, it took a while. I was in no rush. One thing I did find out is that you DO NOT want to use it on die cast or aluminum. "Where did the threads on my seat gears go? " AGGHHHHH!!!!.

The molasses needs to be hosed off immediately with a power washer or some other high pressure water then spritzed with some metal prep. All of the steel parts that I dipped now look like raw steel; they're not black and they haven't succumb to any surface rust.

Ed

This ad goes away when you register for an account!