When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oxalic acid question

-

Skiptoothgrin

Finally riding a big boys bike
May seem like a stupid question to the experienced but...................is it possible to do one area of a bike at a time by putting an oxalic saturated rag around the part that needs to be cleaned? And,if so, any guesses on how long it should be left assuming OK paint with not too heavy acne.
Thanks
George

No. I have seen folks on the CABE recommend doing this, and I question if they have actually done it themselves. It works, but with very poor results. The acid bath must be consistent and that is hard to do with a wet rag. It will take any rust stains out of your paint. Items must be completely submerged in the solution, otherwise you will end up with a definite" line" between the treated area and untreated.
I have used OX many times and have tried partial dips and the rag method. Possibly you could clean the area around the treated spot after the the rag soak, with a cleaner type wax to blend in the untreated paint. A wet rag is no substitute for a submersion in the solution.

I just took a shower and was thinking over your question, so I will edit this post. First of all what color is your bike? If it's blue that's good. If it's red forget about the OX, if your bike is a nice one. I soaked two pre-war red, original paint Colsons on the same day. Both red and rusty, identical looking frames. The first one I soaked for about 4 hours. It turned out great. No damage to the red paint. The second one I took out of the bath after about 20 minutes. as the paint started looking pink.
It turned out all right....sort of..... but still, after only 20 minutes the paint was visibly lighter. Go figure??
Shawn Freqman's pool is the route.

Last edited:
I cant speak for your area, but down here Dollar General has kiddie pools like Walmart does for between $5-$8 I grabbed a stack of 3 for $5 each and they work well, I've dunked a few Tonka trucks and an old sign in them, they arent the flimsy ones either, just my 2 cents

Aaron

OK thanks for the responses. I'm not sure how my better 2/3 will feel about a pool full of acid no matter how mild. We have 2 dogs that sometimes escape and they are way too clever about getting into places you didn't think they could. I'll have to cogitate on this for a while.
BTW it is a blue bike and not too rusty that's why I thought a shortcut might work. Thanks again.

I'll try and get some pics later. It's really not bad. I've been doing a little with PB Blaster and Scotchbrites\000 steel wool but thought OA might be quicker and more thorough.Too many other things to do around the hacienda this time of year limits my hobby time somewhat.

Strangely enough both of them came from a Golden retreiver mother and Australian cattle dog father. 2 litters 21 pups and all save one were black. So if the got bleached they would be returning to their roots. Still not sure SWMBO would approve.

Back