When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

p-38 bicycle ornament

-

pakman2

Look Ma, No Hands!
Can anyone offer more info about the p-38 fender ornament shown on the 1941 CWC Speedking bicycle. It has the appearance of being made with pieces of ammunition in the style of what was known as "trench art" in the firat world war

image.jpeg
Interesting!
I found this piece of "Trench Art" in the form of a P-38 Lightning, made out of old bullets a few years ago.
I had not seen another one until now. That's pretty cool!
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Can anyone offer more info about the p-38 fender ornament shown on the 1941 CWC Speedking bicycle. It has the appearance of being made with pieces of ammunition in the style of what was known as "trench art" in the firat world war

I really don’t know much about the two that I have. If you Google ‘trench art airplane’ many other examples turn up. Not sure if mine are new or old. I like how it looked mounted in place of the light on my Speed King.

I had one made out of brass shell casings and mounted in the middle of a large cut down shell casing to make an ashtray. I think they might have been sold at base stores.

I got mine at a antique/ rummage store up on the Oregon coast.
It's good to see more examples of them.
I figured it wasn't true trench art, since the airplane was of the World War II era.
Do you know when they were made?

I got mine at a antique/ rummage store up on the Oregon coast.
It's good to see more examples of them.
I figured it wasn't true trench art, since the airplane was of the World War II era.
Do you know when they were made?
The one I have has M-16 rounds as the major part of the twin booms so it would be the Vietnam ar era at the earliest. I think a cottage industry of making souvenirs out of ammo based on WW2 examples developed in SE asia
/India where this ammo was plentiful

Back