When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paging Dr. Phil to the Elgin Serial # project room!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

yeshoney

I live for the CABE
My latest acquisition is a 20 or 30 something Elgin. Metal clad wood wheels, Musselman pat pend hub may be date coded after I clean the grease off. More to come on that. Red leather Troxel Long spring saddle and Torrington handle bars.

32Elgin1-1.jpg

32Elgin2-1.jpg

32Elgin3-1.jpg

32Elgin4-1.jpg

32Elgin5-1.jpg

Hi Joe,

My post regarding your green camelback Columbia on the Ratrod site essentially covers both what I know and speculate regarding Westfield serial numbers and decoding build dates from them.

Reading the attached photo as ?24624, I can?t tell what the first letter/number is from the photo of the bottom bracket or if there is another letter/number in front of the mystery digit.

Later Westfields have two strings of letters/numbers stamped in the bottom bracket so you may also find more digits with additional cleaning.

As I mentioned in the other post; 1934 and 1935 bikes definitely use the letters M an N to distinguish the model/year but if there is no letter in the serial number on your bike it may be that along with dropping the model letter stamped in the badge, Westfield also did not designate the model year in the bottom bracket stamping during the late twenties.

Without the help of the serial number I would place the bike between about 1928 and 1932. I have been trying to locate some Elgin information I have from the twenties but I believe that the red colored saddles and chrome plating were first used in 1928.

Back