When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paglioli Cambio Corsa Bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
In the 1950 'Bozzi' catalogue they were still offering the "dog-bone" version.....
View attachment 1685791

In 1950 it seems that the style of "dog-bone" screw was still the same as the very first examples.
I'm wondering if your front hub @Jesper has simply had the original bolts replaced with those flatter versions at some point by a previous owner, for whatever reason.
The bolts on the front QR nut are the same as many Campy bolts used on other components (clamps, etc.).
I think they are actual Campy hardware, but were just used as replacements for lost OE hardware.
I have only seen the "dog bone" style before.
I think the front and rear hubs are original, but laced to much newer rims (post early 60s). Steel barrel and alloy flange; need to verify if they are Campy, or F.B. branded as Campy which would get us closer to an age range due to the change over to Campy making their own hubs.
Any idea as to the age of the rims? Two Ambrosio "High Pressure" examples shown on velobase site: red/silver decal, and yellow/red decal; but no reference to any year or decade.

Last edited:
Sorry for getting frame photo'd last. It was entombed in bubble wrap amd a whole roll of packing tape!

Enclosed with the frame were some original Paglioli decals, but I don't think they would be able to be transfered to another surface without possible disintegration.
The frame isn't really rusty, but there has been extensive wear to the finish resulting in bare metal.
I would love to make this bike more aethetically pleasing, but I would hate to lose the original livery decals which have survived better than the paint surprisingly. My head badge is being sent with the Giuletta frameset and some other misc. parts so it may be some time before badge and frame are "remarried".

Last edited:
Here are the "decals". 2 (F LLI PAGLIOLI) appear to be for stays or maybe top tube. The large "PAGLIOLI" seems to be a printed logo on standard paper, and is not a decal. The "Fabb. Art. Decalcomanie" I would assume to be the printer, but I could not find it online.

Last edited:
Some measurements: seat post (steel) 26.8mm, seat tube 53cm c-c, top tube 55.5cm c-c, head tube 12cm, rear fork 125mm, BB shell 70mm.

Original parts: Campy Cambio Corsa shifting system (d-o's have 15 teeth in slot, and 4 in front I assume for the installion purposes), F.B. hubs (with Campy logo barrels, very smooth function), Campy TT clamp-on cable guides, unknown seat post binder clamp (Agrati?; clamp hardware is replacement).

Replacement parts: cranks & BB (Sugino), pedals (cheap block; left them in Italy to reduce shipping weight), leather & plastic saddle (unknown brand, but probably Italian; and interesting because it has a tensioner in the nose of a plastic shell saddle), Regina "Extra" 4 speed block 16-18-20-22 (has "82" stamped on it; bevelled teeth), KMC "Z" chain (ex. condition, narrow), Ambrosio "High Pressure" rims (I assume they are "3t" made Ambrosios circa 70s), handlebar (3t Mod. Gran Prix, latter model w/center sleeve; late 70s-80s? Bar looks nearly new!), 70mm stem (old "3ttt" logo, Record?; late 70s- early 80s), one Universal brake caliper (a member here states Universal mod. 39 should be correct model).
Not sure what the headset is yet, but it is in good condition.

The wear on the freewheel is only on one cog. I assume this is a common occurrence due to folks not wanting to shift very often (smallest gear unused). I do believe having a bevelled tooth FW would be of great benefit by providing smoother and quicker shifting, and allow you to get your hand back in place on the bar. Also, the KMC chain should be more quiet with the shallow pin profile; but I should use a standard width chain for the 4 speed. I won't know until I try it out.

Last edited:
I have nothing to install as far as a period crankset goes. My early Campy 151 bcd sets are double rings. I'd be curious to see what would happen with a fairly close ratio ring pairing (52/48). Would the chain slack be able to be removed when riding on the smaller ring? Could a chain tensioner be employed?
My immediate plan is to put in a cartridge BB if I have an Italian unit of the proper spindle length. I'll see where the chainline sits with the Sugino BB (114mm) installed to verify proper spindle length since with it being a replacement there is no guarantee that the proper length was used upon replacing the previous BB.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah!
No need to do anything cosmetically.
It shows it’s wonderful age beautifully.
Just a little 3in1 oil to breath some life back into the paint/decals and protect the bare areas, and you’re good.
I agree, wonderful patina, but no rust issues, just carefully clean.

I have nothing to install as far as a period crankset goes. My early Campy 151 bcd sets are double rings. I'd be curious to see what would happen with a fairly close ratio ring pairing (52/48). Would the chain slack be able to be removed when riding on the smaller ring? Could a chain tensioner be employed?
My immediate plan is to put in a cartridge BB if I have an Italian unit of the proper spindle length. I'll see where the chainline sits with the Sugino BB (114mm) installed to verify proper spindle length since with it being a replacement there is no guarantee that the proper length was used upon replacing the previous BB.
I don't think it would be able to take up the slack on the smaller ring to be useable.
I'm sure you'll be able to find a suitable Magistroni, Way-Assauto, Gnutti or other chainset from Italy; a Campagnolo chainset probably wasn't available anyway when your bicycle was manufactured.

I have a NOS Veloce BB measuring 115.5mm so that should work if the chainline is good.
I'll still look for a period correct crankset, but need something reliable without the fuss right now.
I suppose I could use a double spider, but mount only the out ring.

Last edited:
A little more research relating to bike's age yielded that Campy dropped F.B. as maker of the 2 piece alloy/steel hubs in '52 (referenced from "The Original CAMPAGNOLO Timeline").
Knowing this I would guess that the bike is no older than 1953 ('54 at absolute latest); but I tend to think it would more than likely to be from '52 or earlier. There isn't much to date it without some more original parts.
The Mod. 39 brake caliper was used through the 40s into the 50s so no help with dating there, and that assumes it to be the original part.
Possibly the lugs can be put into a time frame when commonly used by builders.
This brings into question as to the history behind the brand. It's from Modena, but I don't know if the Paglioli name relates to a shop brand, a framebuilder's name, and/or a small artisan framebuilding/bicycle company. On the decals that came with it, I would assume that the "F LLI PAGLIOLI" is for Fratelli Paglioli; but again that doesn't give any indication as to who made the frame.
I can't make any sense of the BB shell and fork steerer stamps other than as a way to match a frame with its fork during painting/assembly.

Last edited:
Back