When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pain in the neck and back, wrong frame size?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

PimpMan

On Training Wheels
I am experiencing pain in the lower back and in the rear of my neck. Perhaps my bicycle frame is too small, however i am not sure this is only problem - see street bikes riders ride facing down a lot like in swimming you keep your head down, i cannot do that, i tend to look ahead of me 100% of the time (sometimes i ride on sidewalks, also there's holes in the road i want to spot to ride around) it just feels natural to me to know where i am going.

I currently have mountain bike, but handle bars are flat, i was thinking of installing medium hi-rise handle bars but it might look stupid plus not sure how it will affect steering.

Currently i am in the market for new light weight bicycle 15 pounds, so road bicycle is the number one choice, i obviously don't need a drop down handle bars just straight or medium hi-rise.

Need more info how to select correct size frame also and any advice on the situation with the pain i get after several hour ride.

My ride style is commuting, i am doing food delivery on a bicycle, i don't care much about, top speed and aerodynamics, usually i ride for 8 hours a day.

1.png

Last edited:
What size frame do you have, and not just the wheel size? Do you have an LBS (a Local Bike Shop) who can help you fit the frame to your size?

Which is?

If you need better handlebars, get them! You seem to need them to extend upward and forward. This can result in a more upright position and might help relieve the stress on the back.

Point #2 is that a hard seat is hard on a bad back. Don't hesitate to get one designed with comfort in mind.

Point #3 is that your legs should extend as fully as you can for a more powerful stroke. If your knees come up high and cannot extend and thrust well it is harder to pedal.

Seat post extension is a key to proper leg motion. If you need to get a longer post or raise the seat. If you leave one leg on the curb or a step and the other can be almost fully extended then you have it close to the right height. As long as your stroke is natural and comfortable then you have an optimal setting.

Have you had a previous history of back troubles? The back is easy to injure and easy to re-aggravate. Along with a proper fitting you should see a physician. Back pain is no trivial matter. It can also be created by poor walking support, excess weight and muscle injuries.

You might also want to ask yourself if the riding is just too rough where you are going. Ease up and see if your back responds, avoid jumps and whoop-de-whoops for a while.

I have found that bicycling is actually helpful in relieving back pain vs. walking because it isolates your upper body from torsion more and gives support. Nothing I tell you is a substitute for medical advice.

I have spinal stenosis and sciatica, i.e. hunched back. I installed 6" riser bars on my World Sport. Does it look stupid? Yes! Am I comfortable with no back pain? Yes Do I give a rat's anus if other people laugh? Yes! ....NOT!

I am experiencing pain in the lower back and in the rear of my neck. Perhaps my bicycle frame is too small, however i am not sure this is only problem - see street bikes riders ride facing down a lot like in swimming you keep your head down, i cannot do that, i tend to look ahead of me 100% of the time (sometimes i ride on sidewalks, also there's holes in the road i want to spot to ride around) it just feels natural to me to know where i am going.

I currently have mountain bike, but handle bars are flat, i was thinking of installing medium hi-rise handle bars but it might look stupid plus not sure how it will affect steering.

Currently i am in the market for new light weight bicycle 15 pounds, so road bicycle is the number one choice, i obviously don't need a drop down handle bars just straight or medium hi-rise.

Need more info how to select correct size frame also and any advice on the situation with the pain i get after several hour ride.

My ride style is commuting, i am doing food delivery on a bicycle, i don't care much about, top speed and aerodynamics, usually i ride for 8 hours a day.

View attachment 750653
This should be a help.... https://www.sheldonbrown.com/beginners.html

Forgot to mention i am 190 pounds so dont think buying lightweight road bike will do much difference, plus i am not into speed, more comfort.

Currently my bicycle is not set up for much speed at all, its MTB with the front suspension and i have put offroad tires, rusted bearings in the back, and converted to single speed (fastest one) so acceleration requires a lot of effort, with traffic lights it exhausting to ride. I thought i modded it for speed, but after reading today i actually made it a torture/excersize machine for myself rather than a bicycle.

2.jpg

700c hybrid is what you want, your height will determine the frame size and if you're riding 8 hours a day how the handle bars look is the least of your worries.
Perfect advice i come to same conclusion after many hours of research i need commuter or city bike (hybrid) with 700c no suspension.

If you don’t mind a somewhat odd bicycle, the Pedersen offers a comfortable upright ride.
Its more practical to buy this handle bars, i see them often riding trough south central LA, some even have them twice as tall so their hands are over their hear lol.

1.jpg

Last edited:
If you want to see comfortable riding posture look at the Amish.They ride bikes everywhere and they do not hunch over like they are in the Tour De France

Back