When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint colours, again

-

Ron Nichols

Look Ma, No Hands!
I apologize if this is a tiresome topic but I need some seasoned opinions as I want to get this right. I’m getting ready to address the paint on what I think is my D97E h motor Whizzer. The frame is painted black and it looks original. Could it be? If yes I’ll improve the paint rather than respray and then add darts (cream coloured?).

I apologize if this is a tiresome topic but I need some seasoned opinions as I want to get this right. I’m getting ready to address the paint on what I think is my D97E h motor Whizzer. The frame is painted black and it looks original. Could it be? If yes I’ll improve the paint rather than respray and then add darts (cream coloured?).
Pictures help....

The DX was offered in Black.
Colors:
Light Red, Light Blue or Black, with Ivory Trim. Special colors at extra cost.

I peeked at your earlier photos and I'm pretty sure the frame has been repainted since all the white detailing is gone and the paint looks newer.

You’re absolutely correct. That they were offered in black is a plus. The paint on it is pretty good and laid well hence my thoughts about preserving it and adding the darts. (Cream?)

You’re absolutely correct. That they were offered in black is a plus. The paint on it is pretty good and laid well hence my thoughts about preserving it and adding the darts. (Cream?)

Repainting or leaving it as is totally up to you. The other parts collected for the build will have to be painted right? The accent color was called Ivory but that's just a name. ;)

Got it. Hmm. Indeed I have new headlight fenders, new front fork legs, steering lock yoke and rack so...... might make sense to do it all including the frame (after all it isn’t OE paint anyway). Do you have an opinion on powder coating vrs. paint?

Black is an easy color for painting. With the Ivory accents and all, I would just use paint. Here is the 1948 catalog image of the 1948 DX. Weird that they show the coke bottle grips and not the Schwinn ovals.

1587857600809.png

Back