When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint it or leave it: '56 Corvette

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Lots to consider here. Let's say you do repaint and you do a knock out job ...you proceed to clean parts and then step back and realize dam...that seat looks a little worn out and dam dam all the chrome looks too dull or peppering is just a sore now. Wires are looking beat. And the rubber is looking cruddy to your liking. It might better sense to let it go to someone who doesn't mind all that wear...patina does look nice if preserved.
But I see your dilemma...the decals are faded...chipping away... and so forth. It's up to you how much you want to spend on it. Get some quotes and add it all up. If you're happy with that then go for it. If it were mine id do a good detail job(plenty YouTube videos on how to detail cars motorcycles etc) and replace the tires if the integrity of them is compromised. Lube and take it for a spin...if it rides great then it'll be a nice ridervbut if it's rides like crap then maybe it has structure issues...more money to fix is needed unless you know what to do yourself. You can always sell it and have hefty down payment for something in better condition or buy a restored gem like some have to sell here from time to time. But I would consider the cost and whether or not it would clean up. Good luck. And I agree some people on this site would have a major following if they put out videos of what they do in their restoration processes.

Put a bunch of money in it to restore and lower the value :confused:, that will clean up nice, only OG once, Leave it Be!

Last edited:
Clean it up and you'll be happy with the results I'm cleaning a 62 in black and looks great

Resized_20210310_160506.jpeg

A Jaguar that's been in my repair stand for some time. I had planned on working on the Corvette this Winter but most of my off time has been spent getting myself in shape (long hours on Zwift) for the gravel racing season. Time to shed some pounds and get my gravel bike prepped.

Back